 General / 6179
Re: Bulk Ordering - Secrets Revealed.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 6 Aug 1999 14:16:32 GMT

In lugnet.general, Larry Pieniazek writes:
Steve Berry wrote:

Exactly!  I've been following this thread a bit, and I am rather surprised
at the hostility expressed towards Sanjay by one person in particular.

Come on out and say who you're talking about, if you don't mind.
Especially if it is me, because I just don't buy your line of reasoning.

Correct me if I'm getting out of line here, but IMO you were the one
who seemed to get bent out of shape by the whole posting.

I'll try to explain one more time. Suppose Sanjay knew he was going to
order blue tiles, and contacted people he suspected might want blue
tiles... telling them that he would NOT accept any requests for anything
he didn't already plan to order. I bet lots of people would jump at the
chance. No additional impact to TLG in looking up parts. But good for
the whole community, not just good for one person. And I would have been
glad to pay extra as would many others. Beats paying a dollar a tile.

I can't dispute your logic when it comes to the impact and business sense
of bulk orders with respect to TLG. I feel that you have many valid points
and I am certainly not qualified to offer up anthing better.

But, I would wager dollars to donuts (figuratively speaking) that if he
were to reveal his secret pipe-line of parts, he would be inundated with
E-mails requesting all varieties of parts. That is just human nature.
How is he to determine who he contacts? Would it be some exclusive club,
or the whole community? Who would decide who was in this exclusive club?

Good for you Sanjay!  You've handled this whole discussion with  **fairness
and
class** <emphasis mine>, even after some rather uncalled for comments.

From the original append:

I must admit that during this time I'd monitor various parts auctions with
some amusement.  Here was I able to order pieces at ridiculous prices while
others had to fight it out for certain pieces.

Don't really see these two statements as all that compatible from a
class perspective, and certainly not fair either. You think it's fair
that the GMLTC's founding member dropped 120K on parts in order to
promote Lego for TLG, but Sanjay hogged all the parts he could get to
himself and laughed at everyone else paying ourageous prices?

Hey, life isn't fair, but I don't appreciate it when my nose is rubbed
in it and I'm not bashful about it either.

I look at it more as "the right place, right time" situation. What AFOL
in their right mind would turn down the opportunity that Sanjay had? I
certainly wouldn't.

You have often made a point of talking about you favorite service rep.
Do you get special treatment from her? Should the rest of us be asking
for her name, so that we can get the same personal treatment that you do?

I see no reason what-so-ever that obligates myself, Sanjay, or anyone else
to reveal obscure lines of Lego procurement. I am assuming that if it were
his decision and within his power, he would have come forward and opened
up his channel to the community. As I understand it, to do so would have
put his channel at risk and possibly shut it down.

Now I will take the selfish stance and say that if it were me, I would have
done the same. I would have kept it a secret, ordering the parts that only
I wanted and maybe auctioning off a couple of batches of miscellaneous parts
too. Why risk losing a good deal?

And as for THIS from Tim:

(I don my flame suit too) - It seems like the 'one person in particular'
you mention is more interested in Lego as a moneymaking scheme than a fun,
exciting hobby.

You BETTER don your flame suit if you're talking about me, is all I can
say.

As for me, I have my Nomex right here.

Light me up!

Duane

BTW, replies are set to Off-topic.debate.