 General / 6176
Re: Bulk Ordering - Secrets Revealed.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 6 Aug 1999 13:34:13 GMT

Tim Courtney wrote:
(I don my flame suit too) - It seems like the 'one person in particular'
you mention is more interested in Lego as a moneymaking scheme than a fun,
exciting hobby.

Since Larry (assuming he is who Tim is thinking commenting about) hasn't
specifically addressed what he has done for the Lego community, I
thought I'd list some of the things he has done which refute the claim
of his interest in Lego as a moneymaking scheme:

- Jambalaya. Larry has used his resources to get this kicked off. He has
paid to ship boxes to several people, carried the boxes in his luggage,
taken the effort to divide the stuff into several boxes, etc. Sure he
got first dibs on the parts in the boxes, but he isn't making money on
this.

- Factoring service. Larry charges A FEW US DOLLARS for a service most
commercial banks would (and do) charge considerably more. On top of
that, if you're in good standing with Larry, the time delay is
significantly reduced (I just used the factoring service for the first
time, and the check to the seller was in the mail by the time I got the
check in the mail to Larry). That's an awfull lot of service for a
couple bucks.

- Trusted Intermediary service

- If I recall, he has loaned his models to GMLTC (and PNLTC also?)

- Coordinating the Garry Louie (sp?) Memorial Auction as well as
donating some significant items to the auction.

I also haven't seen Larry sell much stuff, so as far as I can tell, he
spends WAY more on Lego than he receives from sales and whatnot of Lego,
and in fact, probably mostly benefits us all by his willingness to SPEND
money (sure, its going to be hard to get a train item for a bargain, but
as has been mentioned before, high prices for old sets shakes them out
of the woodwork).

Larry is rather direct and short, and sometimes he has got my blood
boiling, but when I have looked closer at his comments, and asked for
clarification in a few cases has proved to me that he speaks from a
reasoned and moral position.Look at his response to my questions in the
Liberatarian discussion in this post
http://www.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=1298.

Followups to lugnet.off-topic.debate.

--