 General / 55969
55968  |  55970
Subject:
The oldest known LEGO bricks set of 1949??
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 26 Dec 2012 17:39:43 GMT

I had always been looking for the very first 1949 LEGO sets with plastic bricks,
but the closest I ever got to was circa 1950... a year after the 1949
introduction of the LEGO brick (known as Automatic Binding Bricks until 1953).

My German collector friend Lothar had some images of an old set that a friend of
his used to own... and it has all the hallmarks of a 1949 (1st year) LEGO bricks
set.

Since we cannot (yet) post images on LUGNET, I posted this on Eurobricks where
image comparisons can be made....
http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=77388

This may be that the oldest LEGO brick sets of 1949.  I'm waiting on TLG Archive
confirmation, but this boxed set (produced in a wooden box) has all the right
indications... that it dates to "Year 1"...

Cheers,
Gary Istok