 General / 52606
Re: LEGO Factory Updated
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 10 May 2006 13:23:28 GMT

In lugnet.general, Geoffrey Hyde wrote:
Try placing two headlight bricks (1x1 brick with stud on side) side-by
side,
then attaching a 1x4 tile centred on their side studs - impossible!  Try
placing
a 1x3 plate, then add a 1x2 tile on the end stud, at 90° to the 1x3
plate -
again, it just won't take it.  In some cases, it'll accept it in a
half-stud
offset position, actually impinging on solid studs.

The first example you gave there, is something I would expect that *should*
work.  Why it doesn't is beyond me.  I certainly hope they also program it
to recognize the pillar of offset building, that of attaching something onto
a sunken LEGO stud by inserting the stud grips on the bottom of pieces and
creating a half-plate offset - which is almost essential if you're going to
do SNOT constructions

The second example is one that one might not normally use, as it is a rather
tight fit for the elements.  I don't think TLG have used construction like
this in an actual LEGO model's instructions.  If they have, they seem to
have forgotten about it.

I'm not talking about anything complicated, like wedging the tile in pony-ears
style.  All I meant was to place the tile on the last stud so it's overhanging
the side of the plate.  Nothing complicated.  I wanted to put a 1x1 tile there,
but that's only listed in grey.  I wanted to put a 1x2 tile facing in to my
model instead.

I eventually managed it by attaching the 1x2 tile to a 1x2 plate, moving them
into place together, then deleting the plate and lowering the tile manually.

But, this doesn't work for SNOT because you can't manually move pieces into
place sideways, and you can't rotate a multiple selection.

There's a whole pile of volume problems where it won't let you build fiddly
things that work in real life, but this isn't one of them.

Fortunately doors seem infinitely thin, which is a big help because you can't
position them partly open to avoid other bits - they only go at 90° stops.

Jason R