 General / 52103
Re: LEGO Store Display Install in Portland: Oh, The Drama
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 3 Dec 2005 08:44:57 GMT

In lugnet.general, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
   In lugnet.general, Dave Johann wrote:

Ah, you never forget your first time...here’s mine:

You’re copping to that? You have e in the pic, why not hang it on him?

Nah. e did nothing to facilitate the fall. Heck, I think he was more upset about it at the time than I was. This fall was proof that you never turn your back on a freestanding creation that you aren’t 100% certain can support it’s own weight. FYI, the part that failed was a ball/socket connection. I found it across the room later that session.

   Ignore Lar on this one, Bionicle-Based Creations do have some structural flaws, just not as many as traditional brick structures have. I guess he needs to get out and build with both more often in order to know this. (Luv ya, Lar!) :P

K, what you’re saying is that I was wrong about a kind of flaw that I thought Bionicles don’t have, because actually they do have that flaw?

I’m down with that, I’m happy to be wrong about it... LOL.

Yep. Think of it this way: building with those parts provides a nice, strong spine, but just how much stress can a spine take? Bionicle building is serious joint stress. Bryce McGlone could probably write a discertation about it since I doubt few others have stress tested the parts as well as he has. As with all Lego building, weight is the achilles heel for any creation. Push it too far and it will crumble.

-Dave