 General / 52102
Re: LEGO Store Display Install in Portland: Oh, The Drama
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 3 Dec 2005 07:15:55 GMT

In lugnet.general, Kelly McKiernan wrote:
   So here’s the lowdown...

Kelly-

Great story, well told with the righ ring of righteous truth and penitent humility.

Made me think of some of our LEGO disasters.

1. BrickFest PDX. We unwrapped the two 60 inch cable stayed bridges that we had shipped as baggage. Boy, the cargo orillas sure had a workout. The average mortal had know way to know they were supposed to be bridges.

2. LLCA event about 5 years ago. We brought down David’s entry from the LEGO Star Wars Galactic Challenge, which was essentially a 30 inch diameter inverted cone on top of another 30 inch non-inverted cone plus a top that looked like a 30 inch high bell jar made from about 10,000 bricks. I had it in the back of the Vanagon and had gone about 3 miles when I turned left onto the access road to I5 south. For a second, I forgot I was toting an unsupported 50 inch high model. When we pulled over to look, there were 100s of separate subsections. I was really glad David was not with us and really glad it was highly symmetric. Susan and I actually had it fairly well restored within an hour, to my enormous relief.

3. The four of us were awake at 03:30 for a very early flight to the SFULCC event in NYC in 1998. For some reason, we had a few spare moments and decided to move David’s 4 foot high Eiffel Tower, which like item 1 above was built in his favorite house-of-cards style. Naturally one leg collapsed and the whole thing crashed. Since we would be gone about two weeks, we didn’t want to come home to a smashed model in the living room so the four of us worked like mad to get it back together and still not miss the plane.

4. San Diego Model Railroad Museum, 2 years ago. The hotel with 8 working elevators is the heaviest/densest model we have ever made - at least 15,000 bricks in a cube less than 30 x 30 x 30 inches. (We usually use 4 people to move it). I failed to consider the quaility of the suspension system of the 20 foot rental truck we used to transport our stuff from Irvine to San Diego. When we unpacked it in the museum, the core tower had bounced off the base. There was way to get into the model from outside to fix it short of disassembly. But then we configuired 4 tables to make a smooth surface with a 15 inch x 15 inch hole in the middle. We slid the model on and Thomas performed surgery from underneath. An hour later, we were in business. (Ever since, we run film wrap around the model to hold it down to its table when we ship it. Haven’t had a problm since.)

5. When the boys were little and the collection was still manageably small (30,000 bricks or so), the whole thing fit into a modest array of Emplast 60 and 18 drawer cabinets that we simply placed against a wall. I don’t recall the cause, but one day the whole thing got knocked over. It was NOT a 1 hour clean up job! (Since then, all the cabinets have been fastened to the wall in anticipation that when the Big One hits here in Southern California that at least the cabinets (and hopefully not too many bricks) will not come crashing down.

Moral of the story: You’re not alone!

-Ted

SCLTC