 General / 51613
Re: Lego Parts You Hate....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 4 Sep 2005 18:43:51 GMT

In lugnet.general, Gerhard R. Istok wrote:
I didn't want to bury this thread under lugnet.parts.... so I put it in
lugnet.general...

We all have Lego parts that we really like.....

But what parts don't you like at all.... what parts do you really dislike?  (Yes
I know it sounds like Lego blasphemy!)

But there are a few parts I really don't like....

1) 2x2 and 4x4 stud 1960's red wheels with the old gray tires...YUK!

2) 1x4x3 1970's door with separate frame in a different color.  These look more
like windows than doors.  Don't like the style at all!  No wonder they only
lasted for less than 5 years in the 1970's.

3) Those 1x1x1 "headlight" bricks, which are a poor substitute for windows in
the remake of the USS Constitution (in yellow), and in the new Lego Factory
sets.  They remind me of the doors to a Pigeon coop.

What say ye.... what pieces don't you like?

Gary Istok

I generally dislike big parts that have restrictions on how they connect to
other pieces.  I think LURPs and BURPs are OK, along with 6x6x10 stanchions, but
a lot of other pieces that size or bigger are next to useless, unless you're
really into that theme.  Has anyone found a non-Aquanaut use for the large trans
blue doors and yellow frames, for instance?  The custom coloured moulded
baseplates have a similar problem, some only for sea beds and others only for
alien planet environments.

The Jack Stone and Bionicle themes tend to collate a lot of large single-use
parts into sets, though the larger Bionicle sets have more useful pieces.
Conversely, the size of the parts becomes a benefit since they are less likely
to get lost when children are kept occupied with them in the car!

I'm surprised that anyone dislikes 1x1x1 brick with a stud on the side or 1x2
brick with 2 holes, since I use both types a lot for SNOT.  Where colour doesn't
matter inside a model (often the case with SNOT support bricks), I use the least
useful colours with the highest stock level.  I used grey 1x2 with 2 holes to
support the SNOT letters inside my blue Class 50 loco:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/mbellis/Trains/Diesel/Class-50-Hoover/class_50_glorious_side_hull_2004.jpg

In fact, the recess on the 1x1x1s is useful because the grilles stick out by the
right amount on locos like this:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/mbellis/Trains/Diesel/class_28_like_boco_kid_2004.jpg
I used different colours of them to get the background colour of each grille.
It also means that if you put two of them facing stud to the right, a 1x1 brick
on its side will fit between them.  This is the basis of supporting SNOT
letters.  Just change the 1x1 brick for 3 2x2 corner plates coming forward and
down from the 1x1x1s with studs and raise them up.

There are many small versatile parts that the officially produced parts range
should not be without.  The problem people have had with the older technic axle
pins is the same reason I used those for making shorter pins - the axle has a
lot more grip than the newer axle pins.  I remove the connector peg bit, leaving
the axle with bezel on the end.  I then use them to go through a thin liftarm
round hole into an axle hole on another thin liftarm, allowing them to rotate
against each other without the pin protruding either side of the liftarms.  My
primary application for this is steam engine rods:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/mbellis/Trains/Steam/9F/9f_valve_gear_ba_agm_2004.jpg
The two axle pins on the right are the modified ones.  You can probably think of
many other uses for this piece.  I've made at least 50 of them because they're
so useful.

I think part of the fun is to spend some time thinking of new uses for parts.
This can be a low-intensity relaxing time, in between the frantic procurement,
sorting, building and exhibiting that fill an AFOL's life!

Mark