 General / 50280
Re: Rarest 60's Lego Item?? was Re: Frank's first LEGO train set has been a 111
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 4 Mar 2005 00:49:42 GMT

In lugnet.general, Gerhard R. Istok wrote:
Type 1: Flip-up Garages - 1955-72.

This garage type is known as the "flip-up" garage.  It was sold as #235/#1235
(also sold as #435 in 1966-72 in some parts of Europe).  This garage was a 5
piece garage set that had an 8x18 baseplate, a garage frame (6 studs wide x 4
bricks tall), and a door (with 2 counter balances) that fit within the door
frame.  The garage plate had a "push-down" section at the front that would open
the door when depressed.

This garage was also available as #236/#1236, a complete garage with 2 1x6x2 (3
pane) classic red windows and a 1x8 GARAGE named brick.  (It was also found as
#436 in some parts of Europe from 1966-72).

This same garage was included in the #810 and #725 Town Plan sets, as well as
Service Station sets #310/#1310 Esso Service (1957-66) and #325 Shell Station
(1966-70), which had 2 garages.

This garage is most often found with a white base, white frame and red door from
1955-66.  From 1966-72 it is found with a gray base, gray frame and red door.
However, there are some real rarities in this type of garage - red base
(1955-56, extremely rare), white door (1955-65, rare), clear/yellow door
(1966-70, Shell #325, rare), red frame (1955-62, very rare),

Don't forget the UK release of that door in solid yellow plastic (not clear with
yellow painted frames). Still looking for a good picture of that door. I've got
the others here:

There was a variance in the doors and counterweights:

My clear doors have clear counterweights. Don't know what the solid yellow ones
have. All my pics of that set are of built models.

The counterweights orginally came separate from the doors. But once they are
inserted they are VERY difficult to remove without breaking something.

HTH,
Clark