 General / 50276
Re: Rarest 60's Lego Item?? was Re: Frank's first LEGO train set has been a 111
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 3 Mar 2005 19:28:03 GMT

In lugnet.general, David Koudys wrote:
In lugnet.general, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Gerhard R. Istok wrote:

Congratulations to the winnning of this auction Gary!

No I haven't been aware of these garage colour-mix-up at all. To be honest I
have even never owned such a garage and not more than 5 H0-cars so far. That is
too far out of the focus of my part of hobby. I like to look at other peoples
collections, but I myself feel more as a model builder. The only thing I am
still collecing is the paperware around the "LEGO® Eisenbahn".

Concerning you question for these garage types: I would dare to bet a fat amount
of money, that the German collector "Legohunter" (Peter Reinartz) surly owns
some of these. He has up to tenthousands of H0-cars as I heard.....

Look at this link for a (very) few examples of his old stuff:
http://www.petersoldtoys.de/forum/wbboard/frame.php?module=4

Leg Godt!

Ben

Have you (or any 1000steine folks) ever seen one of these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5956492138

All 1962-65 European catalogs show the 1:87 cars with a red garage and a white
base (the base is incorrectly shown as gray in most catalogs, except for the
British ones, which correctly show white).  Here's a 1963 German catalog:

http://horst-lehner.mausnet.de/lego/katalog/gk63/GK63-2.JPG

The red door/white base garages are unknown to all my German and Danish
collector friends, even though all catalogs show them as red.  I know of only
one other collector (from Yorkshire England) that has one of these.  It appears
that 99.99% of all of these ever produced were with a gray door and a gray base.
This is probably one of the biggest (of many) Lego catalog errors from the
1960's.

Gary Istok

P.S.  I' sending this to lugnet.general

If you look at the bottom of this page--

http://sparky.i989.net/legop5.htm

I have two white bottoms.  That said, I also have a grey bottom as well.  No
idea where the grey bottoms came from.  I've been told that the white bottom
came from the Garage set so that's how I built it.  I have 3 garage doors and
they're all red.

Since I learned my lesson last time, I'll not say where these 'garage
baseplates' originated from. ;)

Dave K

Hey Dave,

The moment you said "bottom", I had a suspicion you were not talking about the
same garages...

There are 2 major garage types of the early Lego era:

----------------------------------

Type 1: Flip-up Garages - 1955-72.

This garage type is known as the "flip-up" garage.  It was sold as #235/#1235
(also sold as #435 in 1966-72 in some parts of Europe).  This garage was a 5
piece garage set that had an 8x18 baseplate, a garage frame (6 studs wide x 4
bricks tall), and a door (with 2 counter balances) that fit within the door
frame.  The garage plate had a "push-down" section at the front that would open
the door when depressed.

This garage was also available as #236/#1236, a complete garage with 2 1x6x2 (3
pane) classic red windows and a 1x8 GARAGE named brick.  (It was also found as
#436 in some parts of Europe from 1966-72).

This same garage was included in the #810 and #725 Town Plan sets, as well as
Service Station sets #310/#1310 Esso Service (1957-66) and #325 Shell Station
(1966-70), which had 2 garages.

This garage is most often found with a white base, white frame and red door from
1955-66.  From 1966-72 it is found with a gray base, gray frame and red door.
However, there are some real rarities in this type of garage - red base
(1955-56, extremely rare), white door (1955-65, rare), clear/yellow door
(1966-70, Shell #325, rare), red frame (1955-62, very rare),

---------------------------

Type II:  1:87 Clear Garages For 1:87 Cars - 1962-66.

This small "self contained" garage was 4 x 8 x 3 (width x length x height) and
was used to house the #261-#268 1:87 Lego cars.  Here is an example I was very
fortunate to get (at the incredible bargain price of $50) in its' original
wrapping:

http://www.rubylane.com/shops/texstuff/item/3041

The cars housed in these "garages" (boxes) were: #261 - VW Beetle, #262 Opel
Rekord, #263 Ford Taunus 17M (1950's style), #264 Mercedes 220, #265 Karman
Ghia, #266 Mercedes 190SL, #267 VW 1500 Limousine, #268 Ford Taunus 17M (1960's
Style), #670 Jaguar E Type (Britain only) and #671 Vauxhall Victor Estate
(Britain only).

The #261-#268 were available in Europe and USA/Canada, although you will never
see them in any USA/Canada catalog.  I still have the VW Beetle and Mercedes
190SL convertible that I purchased as a child in the mid 60's.

Interestingly enough these were never included in any Lego set in Europe.  Only
USA/Canada sets #536 (Designers set) had one, and #842 Town Plan (only sold as
USA/Canada department store catalog items) had three of them.

These are the ones that I mentioned as being so very rare in "red door/white
base".  Interestingly enough a German collector friend found one with a black
door/gray base.  Regardless of what the European catalogs of the mid 60's show,
the common variety (99.99% of the time) are the gray door/gray base.

Hope that clears things up.  Believe it or not, I go into much greater detail in
the Lego CD about the different types and variations.

Gary Istok