 General / 50278
Re: Rarest 60's Lego Item?? was Re: Frank's first LEGO train set has been a 111
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 3 Mar 2005 20:45:47 GMT

In lugnet.general, David Koudys wrote:
In lugnet.general, David Koudys wrote:

<snip>

Dave K

As an aside to this particular thread, there's the single most dumbest thing
ever done by yours truly (in the LEGO sense...)

So I put an ad in the paper 20ish years ago--"Wanted-- LEGO, will pick up" so I
get lots of responses.  Spend time driving around after work with 20's in my
hand, picking up various boxes of used LEGO from folks in the area.

I bring the boxes home--some people kept their sets in mildly great conditions,
but most boxes of pieces were absolutely filthy--cat hair, and really icky
things that were growing... ugh!  Anyway, as a habit, I sort thru and wash the
recently purchased pieces.

The sorting bit is the really dumb part.  I've found parts of Barbies (legs,
arms, whatever), find Hotwheels or Matchbox cars, find Tyco or MegaBloks, and
other stuff mixed in with the LEGO bricks.  Have a trash can near and just chuck
non-LEGO right into the 'vertical filing system'.

When I was sorting the box where I found those old garage baseplates, first I
remember that the pieces were cleaner and better maintained than most, but mor
importantly I recall throwing out a few, what I deemed at the time, Hotwheels or
Matchbox cars.

Time goes by, I discover LUGNET, and I find out that TLC produced LEGO sets with
die-cast metal cars!!!!

Oh My Goodness!!!  Stupid Dave!!  Yeah, pretty much a bonehead move--got the
bricks and baseplates, but no metal cars to go along with them!

Eh, didn't lose sleep over it--but I am more careful these days in my sorting
process when I purchase used LEGO sets.

Dave K

Hey Dave,

Hope this makes you feel better (maybe you didn't throw away Lego cars after
all).  The 1:87 Lego cars/trucks are die cast, but they are plastic (Cellulose
Acetate from 1955-63, ABS 1963-70).  The only metal part was the wheels and
axles.  I have some CA ones that are slightly warped even.  So if you threw away
metal cars, they weren't Lego!

Gary Istok