 General / 50274
Re: Rarest 60's Lego Item?? was Re: Frank's first LEGO train set has been a 111
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 3 Mar 2005 18:48:20 GMT

In lugnet.general, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Gerhard R. Istok wrote:

Congratulations to the winnning of this auction Gary!

No I haven't been aware of these garage colour-mix-up at all. To be honest I
have even never owned such a garage and not more than 5 H0-cars so far. That is
too far out of the focus of my part of hobby. I like to look at other peoples
collections, but I myself feel more as a model builder. The only thing I am
still collecing is the paperware around the "LEGO® Eisenbahn".

Concerning you question for these garage types: I would dare to bet a fat amount
of money, that the German collector "Legohunter" (Peter Reinartz) surly owns
some of these. He has up to tenthousands of H0-cars as I heard.....

Look at this link for a (very) few examples of his old stuff:
http://www.petersoldtoys.de/forum/wbboard/frame.php?module=4

Leg Godt!

Ben

Have you (or any 1000steine folks) ever seen one of these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5956492138

All 1962-65 European catalogs show the 1:87 cars with a red garage and a white
base (the base is incorrectly shown as gray in most catalogs, except for the
British ones, which correctly show white).  Here's a 1963 German catalog:

http://horst-lehner.mausnet.de/lego/katalog/gk63/GK63-2.JPG

The red door/white base garages are unknown to all my German and Danish
collector friends, even though all catalogs show them as red.  I know of only
one other collector (from Yorkshire England) that has one of these.  It appears
that 99.99% of all of these ever produced were with a gray door and a gray base.
This is probably one of the biggest (of many) Lego catalog errors from the
1960's.

Gary Istok

P.S.  I' sending this to lugnet.general

If you look at the bottom of this page--

http://sparky.i989.net/legop5.htm

I have two white bottoms.  That said, I also have a grey bottom as well.  No
idea where the grey bottoms came from.  I've been told that the white bottom
came from the Garage set so that's how I built it.  I have 3 garage doors and
they're all red.

Since I learned my lesson last time, I'll not say where these 'garage
baseplates' originated from. ;)

Dave K