 General / 49956
Re: FBTB Forums
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2005 18:15:06 GMT

In lugnet.general, Collin Harvey wrote:

   From what I can see, Collin Harvey (NOSPAMchalcyon at NOSPAMmac dot comNOSPAM) and Mike Crowley (countblockulaNOSPAM at gmailNOSPAM dot NOSPAMcom) are the head honchos over there, send ‘em an email and tell them what you think.

Yeah, you can thank Repoort for doing that. He put the forum together for us, so I haven’t been bugging him much about taking certain liberties with the layout, etc.

I’ll PM him about this. He’ll change them if he hears that people are finding it offensive.

My quotes were better anyway. It was a bunch of lines from the ill-cancelled sci-fi series “Firefly.” ;-)

Thanks for blowing the whistle, friends.

Howdy do, awesome guys and gals of LEGO!

As of this morning, it seems as though the news ticker has been adjusted, so there’s no more flashing potty talk. :p Ahh, much better now! :)

Yeah, the fans of FBTB.net have been dealt a pretty nasty blow recently, having our forums – our bastion for Bothan-esque bricky banter - yanked abruptly out from underneath our hairy feet. “Repoort,” doing what any one of us would have gladly done given the necessary and immediate time and resources to do so, reacted with lightning speed, and in a great show of support for our community, quickly set up a makeshift forum for us all to use. All us members of the real FBTBforums.net have really stepped up to the plate and are doing our best to contact each other with word of the new temp forum location. We’re hoping to let everyone know that we’re still around -- just in a bit of a transition phase while things get back to normal. We’ve made threads explaining what happened, and what we can maybe expect for the future. All in all, it’s just our little attempt to keep the gang together until our old digs are back up.

I would ask, though, that everyone keep one thing in mind before judging too hastily the FBTB community based on what you may or may not see in these temporary forums: they are not FBTB.net. They are merely a makeshift and valiant effort to maintain the communication and camaraderie of us loyal members while we eagerly await the restructuring and reintroduction of, from what some people are saying, will be an even better FBTB.net than ever before. Of course, I’m just a fan and member myself and am in no way associated with or involved in the official decisions and goings-on of FBTB.net. I, like the rest of us on the temp forum, am simply trying my best to do whatever I can to make sure we keep our momentum going and our presence felt.

So, what I guess I’m saying is, if you happen to notice something on the temp forums that seems a little “out-of-character” or “inappropriate” according to the usual standards and COC of FBTB.net:

(1.) accept our thanks and appreciation for your concern, your attentiveness and your general desire to promote a better, more friendly, wholesome and respectful online LEGO community (I, myself, truly admire those who are dedicated to making this particular hobby of ours something that we can all be proud of and feel good about sharing with everyone),

(2.) try to contact one of us and let us know, so that we can promptly address the issue,

(3.) bear with us, as, like I said, we are not the official FBTB.net, and therefore do not have the resources, wisdom, or experience of the owners and operators of the real FBTB.net; so, we’re bound to make mistakes.

Basically, the temp forum has been constructed by using a free service that we’re all just learning the ins and outs of. We don’t have the same rules and restrictions set securely in place that helped keep us on track like we did back at the real forums. Remember, FBTB.net is still online, and it still appears to be offering all the same great benefits and resources it always has, simply minus the forums. Many people forget just how much FBTB.net has to offer above and beyond the forum aspect of the site. So, I say, if you’re a fan of FBTB.net, please continue to visit the official site. And, if you’d like to engage in Star Wars, LEGO and other fun discussion with fellow fans of FBTB, stop by the temp forums, maybe sign up so you can participate in the conversation, and have fun. We’re all just fans trying to enjoy what we love in the best way we know how.

However, all that being said, I’m sure I speak for all the Bothans when I say I can’t wait until the real FBTB forums are back – it’ll be so nice to once again have the watchful eyes and leading hands of the Admins and Mods to make sure everything stays friendly and fair, so that the rest of us can simply concentrate on being our old, goofy, geeky, Lucas lovin’ LEGO lackey selves once again! It’s fun to have a little extra freedom every once in a while to be able to cut loose, go wild and do things a little differently, but it always feels much better to be back home.

-Mike “Count Blockula” Crowley
(*patiently and eagerly waiting for mom and pop FBTB to finish rebuilding the ranch so they can call us kids up and tell us all to come on home…* Yee-haw! Y’all come back now, y’hear?)