 General / 49955
Re: missing parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2005 18:17:41 GMT

David Eaton wrote:
In lugnet.technic, Mark Tarrabain wrote:

I was under the impression that LEGO had tighter quality control than
this, so I must admit to being more than a bit disappointed that this
has happened not just once, but twice now in only one year.

They used to have really phenomenal quality control, but I think it's gone down
in recent years. Every set I've ever had that was packaged before 1999 has been
flawless. In fact, I remember talking about it with friends at school in 4th
grade, because someone got a different colored windshield in a space set than
they were supposed to get. Between me and my few friends that collected Lego
(all 4 of us), only that ONE kid ever got anything that was mis-packaged, and it
wasn't so much of a missing/broken piece as a "wrong piece". That probably
accounts for maybe 300 or so sets? (I didn't buy much pre-1999, being a kid or
still in high-school/college)

Nowadays it seems like its been worse. Since '99 I can think of 3 sets I've
bought with missing pieces, 2 with broken pieces, and 8 with "wrong" pieces. And
that's probably accounting for about... 1200 sets. So, roughly 0.33% error vs
1.08% error since 1999. Not much of a sample set for stats, but a noticeable
decrease in quality if 1/100 sets have a problem with them.

In the past year, I've purchased only about 6 sets, of which 2 have had
one missing piece each.  That's 1 set out of 3!

Prior to this, I had never seen it happen at all... and I don't know HOW
many dozens of sets I had bought previous to last year (in fact, I
noticed that many sets actually included _extra_ pieces).  This is why I
thought perhaps that LEGO QC was starting to slide somewhat.

It's good to know that LEGO will offer replacement parts.... although I
have to admit to wondering the same thing as you with regards to
possibly overusing that service.