 General / 49953
Re: missing parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2005 17:31:31 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Mark Tarrabain wrote:
I was under the impression that LEGO had tighter quality control than
this, so I must admit to being more than a bit disappointed that this
has happened not just once, but twice now in only one year.

They used to have really phenomenal quality control, but I think it's gone down
in recent years. Every set I've ever had that was packaged before 1999 has been
flawless. In fact, I remember talking about it with friends at school in 4th
grade, because someone got a different colored windshield in a space set than
they were supposed to get. Between me and my few friends that collected Lego
(all 4 of us), only that ONE kid ever got anything that was mis-packaged, and it
wasn't so much of a missing/broken piece as a "wrong piece". That probably
accounts for maybe 300 or so sets? (I didn't buy much pre-1999, being a kid or
still in high-school/college)

Nowadays it seems like its been worse. Since '99 I can think of 3 sets I've
bought with missing pieces, 2 with broken pieces, and 8 with "wrong" pieces. And
that's probably accounting for about... 1200 sets. So, roughly 0.33% error vs
1.08% error since 1999. Not much of a sample set for stats, but a noticeable
decrease in quality if 1/100 sets have a problem with them.

On the plus side, Lego's usually very good about replacements. Pretty much no
questions asked, and very prompt about sending you a little package and apology
letter.

Sidetrack, however-- I've always heard it said (and it makes total sense) that
"as long as you don't abuse the replacement part system" that they'll send you
replacement parts no questions asked. Has anyone ever had a problem due to
overuse? Has Lego ever second-guessed anyone out here in AFOL-land, thanks to
them calling about too many replacement parts?

DaveE