 General / 49618
49617  |  49619
Subject:
Identifying AFOLs on LUGNET
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 2004 00:02:04 GMT

I had this idea last night, and I was wondering if it makes sense (I'm sure I'll
hear from pro's and con's).  Here it is:

What if Lugnetter had a 4 digit code to identify them from a Lego collector
perspective.  Here's what I mean:

1st digit:  (collect unopened or complete Lego sets) 0 = No, 1 = yes.

2nd digit:  (builders)  0 = not a builder, 1 = build mainly company models,
2 = build mainly MOCs, 3 = build both models and MOCs.

3rd & 4th digit (what Lego systems you primarily build with, 1st and 2nd choice)
0 = none, 1 = Town, 2 = Train, 3 = Technic, 4 = Space, 5 = Castle.... and so on.

Take me for example, I would be a #1210 (I collect sets, I build mainly MOCs,
and I build primarily Town, and no other Lego Systems.

How would this help us in our Lugnet discussions?

Here's an example.  The heated debate about the old Gray color.  Perhaps if I
was debating with someone who identified themselves as a #0245 (doesn't collect
sets, builds mainly MOCs in Space and Castle), it would give me better insight
into where someone is coming from, and get a better understanding about why they
are upset over this, and yes show more sensitivity over why others might feel
different than I would.

The 4 digit system would be easy to remember (perhaps a cheat sheet over all the
identifiable Lego Systems would be needed).  But it would be easier than looking
up peoples profiles, which folks probably don't do too often.

What do you think?

Gary Istok