 General / 49630
Re: Identifying AFOLs on LUGNET
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 2004 21:48:24 GMT

In lugnet.general, David Eaton wrote:
In lugnet.general, Thomas Main wrote:
In lugnet.general, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
In lugnet.general, Gerhard R. Istok wrote:
What do you think?

I like the LEGO Geek Code better, it is more expressive. However it may be a
bit harder to decode.

I agree.  And I seem to remember some talk a while back about creating a Lego
geek code parser.

For those who don't remember the Lego Geek code, check out:

http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Lofts/9639/lcodev22.txt

Way long ago in 2000 I made a parser (but not the probably-more-useful
generator)...
http://www.suave.net/~dave/lgc.cgi?func=translate
http://www.suave.net/~dave/lgc.cgi

Given the way my code worked I had to switch the order of a couple things from
Derek's version (actually, for DISPLAY purposes rather than PARSING purposes,
which is shameful of me), and I added a few things (themes, etc) that weren't in
his version, last updated in... uh... 1997 I guess? And of course mine needs
revamping now, too, darn it all...

DaveE

LEGO: CA+++ SP+++ SW++++ #++++++ A+ CO+ LM- LS+++ MOC+ P+++++ S Hzl M+ VLv YB76m
IC10

I don't know about the Geek code.  I think it would take less time to read
someones profile (personal info) in paragraph form that to try to translate a
Geek code into data one can understand.  You would always need a cheat sheet of
sorts, and it would be very easy to make a mistake and get someones profile
wrong. But that's only me.  Looks like some of you have the Geek Code down to a
science. :-)

Gary Istok