 General / 47641
    Re: LEGO, kids, and how it has come to this —Brian Davis
   (...) !!! Perhaps this also represents just the range of kids - my son (5, at the time) put 90% of the Mars Exploration Rover together with just the Lego instructions (the last 10% was becasue, after something like 5 hours and it being past his (...) (20 years ago, 10-May-04, to lugnet.general, FTX)

        Re: LEGO, kids, and how it has come to this —Ted Michon
     (...) Oh, they understood that the directions held the key, but using the directions was outside their experience. (...) We've always been happy with the LEGO directions and admire that they work across all languages, but there is a certain amount (...) (20 years ago, 10-May-04, to lugnet.general, FTX)

         Re: LEGO, kids, and how it has come to this —Bryan Kinkel
      (...) in (...) There definitely used to be a lot more text in Lego literature, such as the catalogs and idea books. But I think the move towards internationalization of the product has made text almost obsolete. Now you only see a smattering of text (...) (20 years ago, 10-May-04, to lugnet.general)

         Re: LEGO, kids, and how it has come to this —Jan-Albert van Ree
      (...) This is something that isn't just their fault... I've been a long time LEGO collector, having built for over 20 years, starting at 2.5 years old. But since around 1998 I've had hard times with some instructions, since colors are no longer (...) (20 years ago, 10-May-04, to lugnet.general)

          Re: LEGO, kids, and how it has come to this —Dan Hennings
      (...) I think the Yoda statue uses both the parts list and the step highlighting which is very helpful for a set like that. Dan. (20 years ago, 11-May-04, to lugnet.general)

         Re: LEGO, kids, and how it has come to this —Ross Crawford
     (...) I personally doubt my experience would have been as good had I not had the "trial and error" phases early. I think this engenders persistance, which is IMO a Good Thing. Sure, they may get frustrated today, but more than likely they'll go back (...) (20 years ago, 10-May-04, to lugnet.general, FTX)

        Re: LEGO, kids, and how it has come to this —Darrell Urbien
   (...) I address this in my 3D CAD class - it's very interesting to see how adults approach building instructions as users (and then creators). There's some very complex thinking going on there. Ever read any of Tufte's books on Graphic (...) (20 years ago, 11-May-04, to lugnet.general, FTX)