 General / 44221
Re: A far more insidious change to the brick!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 26 Nov 2003 14:20:09 GMT

In lugnet.general, Mike Walsh wrote:

[ ... snipped ... ]

Last night my son (age 8) and I had a chance to play with the new World City
7043 Fire Boat:

http://www.brickset.com/search.aspx?Set=7043-1

This set is actually a pretty neat little model with the exception on one
thing.  It uses click hinges!  The part in question has previously been made
with finger hinges:  http://guide.lugnet.com/partsref/search.cgi?q=4213

The new part with click hinges is (IMHO) a poor solution.  When the hatch is
opened up to bring the nozzle up, the whole sub-assembly (nozzle, hinge
plate, and hinge base) is apt to come off the model.  If you had a soccer
bus you probably noticed that when you raised the back gate it was more apt
to come apart at the hinge base then open through the click hinge.  This is
the same behavior.

Yeah, I see that pretty clearly now. Any part that needs to be treated 'gentler'
to keep from falling off the model in question definitely has an issue.

<soap box on>

Bring back fingered hinges!  They are a technically supperior element.

</soap box off>

Six or eight months ago Joe Meno had come by my house to pick something up.
For some reason the topic of click hinges came up.  At that time I expressed
my distaste for them, I guess pretty strongly because Joe said something
like "gee, you feel pretty strongly about them" or something to that effect.
Yeah, I guess I do.  I can sum up my feelings for click hinges in one word:
Bleh.

I'm a little more ambivalent about the click hinges because I found they were
great for some, well a few things, well....okay, not much.It turns out that the
strength of the click is stronger than the strength of the plate or brick it's
molded to, more often than not.

So I bought a boatload of old hinges. And I see your point with you,
Mike...bleah indeed!

Joe

Mike