 General / 44054
Re: A far more insidious change to the brick!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.space
Date:
Sat, 22 Nov 2003 03:42:18 GMT

"David Simmons" <xenobuzz@earthlink.net> wrote in message
Hey all,

[ ... snipped ... ]

The change that I feel is more disruptive is the change from "fingered"
hinges to click-hinges.  I've noticed recently that "fingered" hinges have
completely disappearred and have been replaced by the new click-hinge
styling.  This replacement for the most is ok, but I have one big gripe.
The old-style Space Shuttle Bay Door piece (y'all know the one I mean?) in
the "fingered" style forms a nice, tight seal where the wall piece and the
1x4 plate come together.  The new click-hinge style has a huge gap between
the wall piece and the 1x4 plate.  The same gap appears in the regular 4x5
click-hinge plate.

[ ... snipped ... ]

It is funny that you mention this as I had this very same thought not 10
minutes before reading your post.  I am not a fan of the click hinges
either.  I thought they worked well on the original Snow Speeder but other
than that, they are far inferior (IMHO) than the fingered hinges.

And they wear out.  I bought the Wild Collection when it first came out and
immediately built the chameleon.  It sat on my desk for a month or so.  The
hinges will no longer hold it's legs in the proper position.  The fingered
hinges don't suffer from the loss of teeth and hold their position better.

The only rational I can think of for the proliferation of click hinges is
for patent reasons.  I am sure there are other reasons too.  I was really
disappointed to see click hinges on these two parts in the new train sets:

http://guide.lugnet.com/partsref/search.cgi?q=2582

http://guide.lugnet.com/partsref/search.cgi?q=2873

Mike

Mike Walsh - mike_walsh at mindspring.com