 General / 44055
Re: Shades of Gray
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 22 Nov 2003 04:23:51 GMT

In lugnet.general, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:
And to give illustration to the phrase, should that be the British "grey" or the
American "gray"? :-)

It doesn't matter which 'color' of 'grey' you're talking about, you're still
going to find someone who doesn't like the new 'gray' 'colour'.  ;)

But seriously....

Bruce, your post is a welcome bit of reason in all of this kafuffle.

In terms an
artist or photographer would use, it is a "warm" gray.  That is, shifted to the
"warm" end of the spectrum (yellow, orange, red), and is more specifically,
yellow-shifted for both the light and dark gray.

Viewed in isolation, it is not a "pure", or more properly "neutral", gray.

But when one is talking about buildings, roads, stones, rocks, and concrete -
the natural world and the building blocks we make of it - then we are talking
about warm grays.

This last bit was what caught my attention the most.  I like the idea that part
of the world around us is painted in this 'warm' grey color.  And I like the
idea that you've made the association between that palette and the old LEGO gray
colour.

For so much of what people do with Lego, a warm gray is very appropriate.  This
is ignoring the compatiblity problems of mixing the old and the new - I suppose
I can actually use it to my advantage as nautural variation in the stone for
medieval structures, but builders of more modern structures will view the mixing
as a problem.

I think strong arguments can be made for using it in a wide variety of designs.
Ironically, if someone wants this mixed effect, they may someday find it hard to
achieve.  Perhaps they'll have boxes full of the new grey and will find it
difficult and expensive to obtain the old gray.

The point I would have to make to Lego is that they view this as an
"improvement".  I don't think that is correct - it is merely different.  For
some applications it is better, for some it is worse.  It would appear that they
didn't really think through the ramifications of the change.

A well-written encapsulation of this entire issue!

Perhaps I do them
a disservice; that they did consider all the issues and felt they had to be true
to themselves regardless.  But I still feel that they have merely made a change,
and not an necessarily an improvement.

As a customer, and in using such a calm tone, you do not do them a disservice.
You are providing constructive feedback.  I did the same just today at work;
providing feedback to a vendor.  I soon received a 'thank you' email for helping
them to improve their processes and in turn their service to our company and
others.  I wonder how soon we'll all be receiving a 'thank you' email from LEGO?

We are customers, providing (for the most part) constructive feedback to a
vendor.  Regardless of what they think of us, or how much we affect the bottom
line, or how much we evangelize their products, I think it would do them little
harm to listen to what we have to say.

Regards,
Allan B.