 General / 43711
Re: New colors and other info
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 2003 04:01:00 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Jake McKee wrote:

   As has been pointed out, there have been some modifications to the color palette. This was done with a great deal of consideration, and for a couple of very good reasons.

Jake, thanks for getting us the info promptly.

Here’s my take on the color change. Its not earth-shattering to me personally. I have a small collection of the gray’s, like them a lot, and have a low LEGO budget in comparision to many of you here. There’s no reason to be angry, cause that wouldn’t solve a thing.

I empathize with those who are flipping out over this, but also think they’d be much better off to take it with a grain of salt. Compared to issues of life and death, this is nothing. Its a hobby.

From a logical standpoint, I think LEGO made a mistake. Sure, AFOLs are but about 5% of the market (from what I’ve heard, and IIRC from a reliable source). Its easy for a bean counter to dismiss us. But, looking at the fan community and what it does to promote the brand, we’re not as easy to overlook.

By changing the colors without advanced notice, the LEGO Company just alienated its most vocal evangelists. We’re the people who have been making headlines with our train shows and conventions and build events. By making the change without giving the community enough fair warning, LEGO essentially put its volunteer guerilla marketing force in a state of unrest. Whether that plays out to be something of a non-issue, or it becomes a big deal, we have yet to see.

I’m not angry about this, but I have friends who are very angry about it. And, I feel their pain, but choose not to let this bother me personally too much. Some are even-keeled about the news, others aren’t so. For builders as meticulous as my friends, this is a big issue. I hope it doesn’t upset too much.

-Tim

(my views do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer)