 General / 43279
Re: Are you going to try out?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 16 Oct 2003 19:46:41 GMT

Well, given the fact that a lot of people (some who read LUGNET, some
who do not) have been asking me about the whole Master Builder Search
thing, I figure I will go ahead and chime in.

While I am quite flattered that many friends and AFOLs said they quickly
thought of me when they heard of this competition, I do NOT plan on
trying out. There are many, many reasons (some here as I think to list
them):

1) I *already* work with LEGO bricks for a living. I have no particular
desire be able to say that I work for The LEGO Company per se. I'm sure
of various large companies, LEGO would be more "fun" than the typical,
but I worked a few years in corporate culture, and have no desire to return.
2) I have no desire to leave Auburn, Alabama. In fact, I have a strong
desire to STAY in Auburn, AL. Having lived in California for several
years in the past, I will say that I specifically have a desire to not
move back there (no offense to the state, but my desire to live there is
probably equal or less to the average Californian's desire to live in
Alabama).
3) The pay is not a huge concern, and since I have no clear idea as to
what the estimated salary would be, I can't nix it on that alone.
However, again, I'm doing just fine right now building on my own.
4) And obviously, as an independent builder, I have more freedom as to
what projects I work on, whom I work with (when I have to hire help),
when I agree to accept a commission, and so forth.

The list could continue.

The only "pro" in this list "pros and cons" I can think of is the idea
of having access to such a variety of pieces and colors. But that alone
is not a reason to uproot my life, for that novelty would wear off quickly.

All of that said, I think the competition is an interesting one. If I
had heard about something like this when I was in middle/high school I
would have gone nuts thinking about. Hearing about it in college or
shortly thereafter there is no doubt I would have jumped at the chance.

But now? Nope.

I certainly hope LEGO has contacted various TV production companies
about this. Surely The Learning Channel, Discovery Channel or the like
would love to make a half hour program about this competition.

I wish the best to the company and everyone who does participate in the
competition.

cheers,

eric harshbarger

Jake McKee wrote:

So what do you think? Are you going to try out for the spot in the master
builder search (http://www.legomasterbuilder.com)?

If you are, let me know!

What do you think about the idea overall?

Jake

---
Jake McKee
Community Liason