 General / 42266
Re: *NEW* LEGO brick-ish Transformers by Hasbro -- What's the deal?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego
Date:
Mon, 26 May 2003 03:43:42 GMT

In lugnet.general, Larry Pieniazek writes:
Whoa... do you have more info on that? Hasbro tried to buy TLC? When was
that? I did some googling to try to find more info, but it was inconclusive.

Sounds like a fascinating subject for a Forbes or HBR article. Any info you
might be able to share would be gladly received at least by this reader.

     My boss receives a variety of industrial publications focussing on
plastics and technology, and I believe he was the one who mentioned it to
me, so it might have been buried in one of them.  Industry news sometimes
takes a while to trickle out into civilian news, assuming it ever makes it.
I actually found out about the latest round of LEGO layoffs a few days
before it started showing up more publicly, and I was reading about it in a
publication that had been sitting on the front counter for at least a week
before I poked through it.

     I'll have to ask my boss if he knows any more about this (likely they
just called up and asked, "Can we buy you?" to which the response was
probably, "Um, _HA_!") at a later time.  I'd call and ask right now, but
it's quarter after eleven, he gets less sleep than I do, and they've got a
toddler, so a phone call at this time of night would be received only
slightly more graciously as a brick through the front window.

     Anyways, it's not like this sort of thing would be completely
unexpected.  They bought Kenner, makers of the original Star Wars toys.
They bought Galoob, the first company to start making post-1990 Star Wars
toys.  They bought Tiger Electronics, makers of SW hand-held video games.
They bought _WotC_, makers of Magic: The Addiction, and the Pokecrack card
games (who had already bought T$R, makers of D&D).  TLC is the only existing
company that makes successful SW toys that Hasbro hasn't bought, and they
are the third largest toy company in the world (behind both Hasbro and
Mattel, I believe), and I'm sure a day doesn't go by that at least one
high-up executive doesn't curse under his breath for that fact.

Fun/scary facts:
Hasbro is the world's largest manufacturer of toys, but did you know that...
...TLC is the world's largest manufacturer of tires?
...Mattel is the world's largest manufacturer of clothing?