 General / 41936
Re: how odd!!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 18 Apr 2003 22:59:44 GMT

In lugnet.general, James Stacey writes:
have LEGO run out of colouring pigment ??

http://www.minifig.co.uk/funstuff/oddbricks.htm

they have been well played with, but still have lots of clutch, but appear
to have missed out on colour. Some of them have grey remenents
wierd
--
James Stacey
---------
www.minifig.co.uk
#925 - I'm a citizen of Legoland travelling Incommunicado

Looks like a color change to me.  The red and green pieces are tell-tail
signs of color change for sure.  The more clear stuff looks like a different
resin altogether.  You would get that from a barrel purge....it's common to
use acrylic as a purge medium since the crystalinity would help to scrape
the inside injection screw clean.

On a side note I saw some recent posts on "flame" colored bricks where you
get a wisp of "flame"-like markings in the light colored part.  That would
be degredation, usually due to resin shear as a result of a hang-up
somewhere in the hot runner manifold...it all depends on where the flame is
relative to the part gate.

Either way, receiving parts like this in a set isn't good for the company
(it happens...I once received a short-shot on a 1x8 classic blue
brick...only 80% of the brick was there).  While interesting to us, it
demonstrates the limited ability of their quality control since these type
of bricks should NEVER make it to the consumer.  I know ineveitably happens,
but it really shouldn't.

Interesting that you would have them though.

Best,

~Trev