 General / 41935
41934  |  41936
Subject:
online communites
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community
Date:
Fri, 18 Apr 2003 22:12:01 GMT

howD all,

as a professional online community
manager and developer, i also agree
that the lego community needs to
"get w/ the program" as it were.

online communities are held together
by sharing standards among multiple
kinds of websites re: their topic
(in our case LEGO)

If we had a community of open standards
(colors, website issues, xml, etc)
we could synchronize many issues from
site to site and it would greatly enhance
our streamlining as a community

but the main point is that its cooperative
and the online lego communities are too often
competitive.

alas...

-paul

In lugnet.general, Tim Courtney writes:
In lugnet.general, Amy Hughes writes:
In lugnet.general, Thomas Main writes:
Are there people out there that are interested in LEGO, have come by
this site and been turned away?  ...What are some of the reasons that
people have not stayed or gone away after experiencing this
community?

From someone whose interest has waned...

Lugnet and the clubs that have formed through meeting here have a collective
personality, for better or worse. I find this community to be competitive,
opinionated and territorial.

I definitely concur on that point.

That's okay. I can be competitive, opinionated and
territorial, too. Particularly the opinionated part :-)  But my participation
is limited by how much I care to be involved in contests of will, and frankly,
I'm all tuckered out ;-)

On many points, I hear ya there. I'm trying to bring discussions about the
community out in the open, since my efforts behind the scenes and in
personal projects have not been successful - partially due to those contests
of will.

-Tim