 General / 41960
Re: online communites
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community
Date:
Sun, 20 Apr 2003 09:11:11 GMT

If we had a community of open standards
(colors, website issues, xml, etc)
we could synchronize many issues from
site to site and it would greatly enhance
our streamlining as a community

Ive only been here a few weeks but I already see this atleast software wise.
I'm a distributed systems solutions junkie of the old kind and to see:
pov, mlcad, ldraw, l3p, l3pao, bricktrack, bricklink, brickset, peeron and
who
knows what else all talking to each other so that I can create design render
list price
purchase my model all by just saving and retrieving files across software to
me is
amazing. Maybe some of this cooperative spirit will leak over into the
verbal
community side of things.

but the main point is that its cooperative
and the online lego communities are too often
competitive.

Id really like to hear someone's explanation as to why this is and how it
can
possibly be 'good' at the level that it seems to occur. In the art
communities
I've been in the only competing has either been friendly 'tournamental'
designing
or maybe fighting over the same position/job/whatever. Generally good
artistic
communities compare and contrast but only compete with themselves. (But I
dont have a ton of experience, only the ones in college and one in the
villaige in ny)