 General / 41973
Re: how odd!!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 22 Apr 2003 05:57:49 GMT

The tannish bricks are raw ABS with no pigmenting, so they were probably snuck
out of one of the plants, or someone threw them in a trash bin instead of
shredding them.  They were most likely test runs of a mold or the entire molding
process - why use expensive pigmented ABS if you have raw ABS laying around?
;-)

Or as someone else noted, they may have been some hand-molded tests, and they
used liquid ABS mix instead of melting pellets.

James Stacey wrote:

Did these all come from the same set?  Or was it a bundle of different old • sets?

While we would all love for Lego to make 100% perfect bricks, I don't • think
this ought to be seen as a serious breach of quality control.  If they • were
all in the same set, that's a different story, though I doubt it.
Personally I've probably only ever gotten one or two crappy brand new • bricks
in my 13 or so years of collecting.  After all, Lego makes a huge number • of
bricks each day, so some stuff will inevitably slip past.

Interesting that you would have them though.

Agreed.  They are interesting.

-Stefan-

They came in a load of old mixed bricks brought at a car boot sale (like a
garage sale if your not british :) )
I can only assume they were liberated from a factory somewhere, as 70 odd
2x4 bricks all like that is a bit too much. After posting I also found about
another 20 'flame'd 2x4s and about another 30 2x4s in green with a very
slight grey flecking on top, as if it was a contaminated mold. There is just
too many for it to be coincidence :)

James

--
Tom Stangl