 General / 41869
  What's so Adult about it Anyway ? (was: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) Haha! I love it. Now, I really am enjoying this entire thread, but my line of thinking is diverging a little (thus the change in subject line). A question comes to my mind about how we refer to ourselves within the "community". Why do we need (...) (21 years ago, 15-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: What's so Adult about it Anyway ? (was: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) YES! Man I'm really not getting work done today. Stopped by the post office with my taxes, visited a local shopkeeper. Posting in this silly thread. Well, the thread isn't silly, but it's silly that I'm not getting my work done! (...) The TFOL (...) (21 years ago, 15-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: What's so Adult about it Anyway ? (was: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) Looking back in the thread, I think I was the one who began talking about "adult" here, although the phrase "Adult Fan of LEGO" (AFOL) seems to have been created quite a while ago. I find that I mention adult LEGO fans almost in self defense. (...) (21 years ago, 16-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: What's so Adult about it Anyway ? (was: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) IMHO, the AFOL term was used just to give this group a sense of identity. Sure, any old kid can say he plays with Lego, but all he might do is just buy sets and make them, or just collect Bionicle figures. We actually take Lego to the next (...) (21 years ago, 16-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: What's so Adult about it Anyway ?

(...) Yep. (...) True. I think it's great to encourage those kids who don't build LEGO on this level to explore it. I have gained a new appreciation for Bionicle recently, at BricksWest and at a friend's house a couple weeks ago. His kids have a lot (...) (21 years ago, 16-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: What's so Adult about it Anyway ?

In lugnet.general, Tim Courtney writes: <snip> (...) Yeah, I've always been a big fan of the concept. Granted, I don't build with it, but I think it is a brillant way to get gets building and learning about basic mechanics. The audience for these (...) (21 years ago, 16-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: What's so Adult about it Anyway ? (was: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) I used to be on the side of encouraging clubs to not have age requirements, however, under more consideration, I'm more open to the idea. In my opinion, the biggest reason is the way our country handles child abuse allegations. Because of the (...) (21 years ago, 16-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: What's so Adult about it Anyway ? (was: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

Hey Frank - Wish I could devote time to replying to this inline -- but gotta get moving on other stuff tonight. I totally understand the concerns with this. I'm not sure our club's approach to handling this, save the parents' involvement with the (...) (21 years ago, 17-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Absolutely Nothing! :) (Was: Re: What's so Adult about it Anyway ?)

I have one particular spin on lego building/playing/sculpting that strikes me quite personally. I had it in my splash page for a while at my bricklink store but Ill give you the edited down version here: (Be forwarned, its based upon my experience (...) (21 years ago, 17-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: Absolutely Nothing! :) (Was: Re: What's so Adult about it Anyway ?)

(...) Hi David! Although I am no longer among the faithful, I must agree with the sentiment that there is value in keeping young at heart! Religious or not, I love your explanation of how you have come to appreciate the importance of being a child. (...) (21 years ago, 17-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: What's so Adult about it Anyway ? (was: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) I think it depends on what kinds of activities the club participates in. I understand that some clubs have meetings in the private homes of their members. I can totally see how you might want to exclude minors in such a situation (or at least, (...) (21 years ago, 7-May-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: What's so Adult about it Anyway ? (was: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) Any organization that allows both adults and minors to participate in the same capacity has to be _very_ careful about this sort of thing. It's not enough to simply know that nothing's going on. You need to make sure that noone has any reason (...) (21 years ago, 8-May-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: What's so Adult about it Anyway ? (was: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) Libraries are certainly a pretty safe way to hold meetings open to minors. At a library, you have the advantage that they hold most of the responsibility for any unaccompanied minors. A pizza parlor would be somewhat riskier, but still, the (...) (21 years ago, 8-May-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)