 General / 40125
Re: Feedback thoughts?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 18 Dec 2002 03:59:00 GMT

"Jon Palmer" <jon@zemi.net> wrote in message news:H77Aqw.MoC@lugnet.com...
[snip]
I think those are more or less my reasons, so what are some other reasons • we
aren't seeing feedback from others?

I have never been one of the people that thinks, even for a minute, that
LUGNET is an unfriendly place.  I have always seen LUGNET as a very • grown-up
place in a sea of other moronic online forums.  But-- I do think that it's
getting quieter and quieter here.  Why?

A lot of people have moved on. People change and other issues in their • lives
come up.  I'll admit this makes me a bit sad, seeing some of my favorite
posters disappear, but thats the way it goes.  That's cool.  But where are
the new people to replace them?  Am I totally paranoid here?  I was • looking
back through admin.statistics, and while I was by no means being • scientific
about it, I noticed that as a whole, LUGNET's posts have dropped over the
past 2 years.

While the number of posts may have dropped, I don't think that the "lurker"
crowd should be discounted when evaluating the health of Lugnet.  I have
been reading Lugnet since the day that Todd posted on RTL that there was an
alternative discussion website called "Lugnet".  This new site would offer a
higher level of discussion than was on RTL.  That very day, I set up OE with
the Lugnet server information and was hooked on this community.  However,
during all of my time here, I probably have not posted more than 100-200
times.  Why do I not post more?  Several reasons.

First, posting takes time.  When I post, I like to really think through what
I am writing.  I will go back and edit my post before sending it in (this
post alone took me about 20 minutes to write).  Although I have nothing
against quick response posts which are basically "Cool MOC", I try to get my
posts to add tangible value to the discussion and the community (whether my
posts actually achieve this goal is a complete other issue - :-D ).
Therefore, I usually only post when I feel I can add something substantive.
Otherwise, I simply enjoy reading the thoughts and opinions of others and
viewing MOCs.  Again, nothing wrong at all with the quick off-the-cuff
posts/replys but that is just not my usual style of posting.

Second, as much as I would like to devote 10-12 hours a day to Lego related
activities, living in the real world of job, family, etc. means that 1-2
hours a week towards Lego is a blessing.  Because of that, I try to maximize
my time on Lunet and make sure that I read the major discussions.  Many
posts get skipped or only looked at for a second or two simply due to time
constraints.  I mainly focus on the areas that interest me the most (as I
think most people do).  In an ideal world, I would love to post a response
to every MOC posted, just to let the creator know that his/her efforts were
seen and appreciated.

Finally, because of the time issue, I am usually 2-3 weeks behind on reading
(meaning what I am reading now was posted 2-3 weeks ago - right now I am
actually fairly caught up on Lugnet posts which is a bit surprising).
Because of this delay, I often feel awkward posting a reply weeks after the
other discussion on that topic has died out.  Therefore, even when I have
something which I would like to say, I usually favor letting the comment
pass due to the time lag.

To sum up my thoughts on the decline of posts, I think that there is a large
contingency of people who read Lugnet and benefit from it yet rarely venture
to post.  I really appreciate those who do post more frequently as I learn
lot about our shared hobby from you.  Also, to those who feel that they
never get any feedback, remember that many more people will view and
appreciate your MOC then will ever post feedback.  Do not get discouraged.
Keep building!  And as others have suggested, get involved with a local LUG
if possible.  I have found that the most rewarding feedback comes from
outside the Lego community (which I believe is due to the "WOW" factor - we
here on Lugnet are so used to seeing incredible MOCs that only a truly
inspiring creation will elicit massive responses).

Enough rambling...

Tim