 General / 40126
Re: Hope to help, edify and soothe, but probably won't
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 18 Dec 2002 04:36:32 GMT

In lugnet.general, John P. Henderson writes:
One wonders what could be done to prevent that sort of thing.  What do other
hobbyists and clubs do to prevent being shut down if their founding members
leave the community?  Do they incorporate?  Do they form official
organizations that in turn legally buy the 'property' of things like
websites?  One wonders...  How do we preserve our community?  How do we plan
for all future contingenies?  ... Should we?

We've thought about this before in rtlToronto between Chris and I and
neither of us think it's enough of an issue to have some sort of "business
continuity plan".  If either of us aren't interested in it anymore, we
figure someone else in Toronto will start a Lego group and everyone will
hangout there.

Formal organization is the antithesis of rtlToronto:  We don't have
chairpersons, treasurers, voting etc.  It's just me and Chris and it seems
to work.

As much as I like rtlToronto and the group we've built, it's not the
cherished village church burning down.  Organizations will come and go.

Calum