 General / 40045
Re: Feedback thoughts?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 17 Dec 2002 03:14:47 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jon Palmer writes:
I'm going to be honest.  I don't look at even a 4th of as MOCs these days
because of Brickshelf's speed.  When I say Brickshelf is slow, I don't mean
just a little sluggish.  It's unbearable.  It takes about a minute and a
half for the recent updates folder to load.  It can take about another 3
minutes for a folder with about 30 or 40 thumbnails in it to load.  Any
given image at about 640 by 480 resolution takes about a minute to load for
me.  *A minute.*

That's true, I used to always check Brickshelf's recent updates, but now I
never check them. Lately I only view the folders in thumbnail form.  Of
course I would help support Brickshelf if a monetary donation was needed.

I read your great post on this and thought about it for a while.  I thought
about my feedback habits.  After thinking on it for a long time I really do
think that Brickshelf is the reason I don't post feedback about 80% of the
time these days.

I disagree here, I think my lack of feedback comes from pure laziness to
type a large response.  When I first starting posting here, I admit I typed
a lot of "that's really neat, bye" posts and, looking back, decided to limit
my feedback on MOCs unless I had a question or I was in the mood to type a
long, informative response about my opinions.

Aside from this I have no excuses.  I think I have been lax in the feedback
area.  I've been trying to build as much as I can during my free time right
now, but that can't be the only reason I'm not replying.  Maybe I don't post
nearly as much feedback, or specifically critical feedback  (on less than
perfect MOCs) as I should.

Agreed.  I think everyone's guilty of that.

I think those are more or less my reasons, so what are some other reasons we
aren't seeing feedback from others?

I have never been one of the people that thinks, even for a minute, that
LUGNET is an unfriendly place.  I have always seen LUGNET as a very grown-up
place in a sea of other moronic online forums.  But-- I do think that it's
getting quieter and quieter here.  Why?

I believe LUGNET is incredibly friendly, and I believe that people have left
because they have other interests.  When the moonbase and pods first came
around, I would view every one.  But when it came that there were several a
day, I would miss some, and perhaps it would be spotlighted before I even
saw it.  Still, I do not believe fads lasting months have drawn me away from
LUGNET.  MOCs of others inspire my own.

A lot of people have moved on. People change and other issues in their lives
come up.  I'll admit this makes me a bit sad, seeing some of my favorite
posters disappear, but thats the way it goes.  That's cool.  But where are
the new people to replace them?  Am I totally paranoid here?  I was looking
back through admin.statistics, and while I was by no means being scientific
about it, I noticed that as a whole, LUGNET's posts have dropped over the
past 2 years.

That's true.  Having not even known that admin.statistics existed, I took a
few minutes to glance through it.  LUGNET is know approaching 375,000 posts
since its inception.  The 300,000th was just about a year ago:
http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/fun/?n=8661

The 200,000th about a year before that, and the 100,000 about 11 months
before that.  In short, LUGNET frequency has dropped about 25,000 posts a
year (about 70 a day)

Correct me on any math mistakes :)

Lets just say for a second that I'm not nuts and that things are slowing
down here.  Why?  What can we do about it?

Nothing helps more I think than continuing our daily habits, hoping more are
inspired to join the LUGNET community...and we must continue to welcome them.

-Kevin

_ j o n