 General / 38832
Re: How many people have an online Lego membership?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 7 Oct 2002 15:09:07 GMT

In lugnet.general, Bruce Hietbrink writes:

I wanted to put up some of my MOCs and a link to my website.  Unfortunately,
you can only link to other portions of the Lego.com site (lego.com/starwars,
lego.com/harrypotter, etc) in the "favorite links" section.  You can't link
to your own page, brickshelf, lugnet, etc.  I understand they don't want
people putting up links to porn sites or megablocks.com or whatever else TLC
thinks is inappropriate, but you can't even link to Jake McKee's own site.

FYI, the reason for this is simply safety of browsing. It is too easy for
kids to end up on inappropriate content if we allow external links. It
creates a moderation nightmare. First we would have to go check out the
entire site being linked to, then continue to monitor it just to be safe.

I did try to add a couple of my MOCs, but you can only put up three.  You
also are supposed to put what set you got the pieces from for your model.
Maybe this works fine for a kid with three sets, but for an AFOL with 100
sets, do I list them all?  I have no idea which set was the original source
of some given 1x1 brick.  I just put "many" in the blank.  They haven't been
moderated yet, so I don't know what will happen there.

FYI, the problems with the images you submitted had to do with the links
back to Brickshelf, from what the moderators tell me. If you resubmit them
without the Brickshelf links, it should be fine.

Anyway, I find that the Lego.com club page may be okay for a kid who knows
nothing about the web, but they fall way way way behind the other options
out there for on-line display of your MOCs.

Yeah, this area is absolutely not meant for AFOLs, but rather kids.

Thanks!
Jake

---
Jake McKee