 General / 36756
Re: LEGO stops DUPLO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.duplo
Date:
Tue, 14 May 2002 02:20:45 GMT

In lugnet.general, Deidre Rushton Brumby writes:
In lugnet.general, Arne Lykke Nielsen writes:
It has just been annonced on the Danish News, that Lego has stopped making
DUPLO. A new concept for the 2-6 year old children, Explorer, will be
introduced this autumn.
No more DUPLO?!? My 3 year old niece will be devastated, she loves her DUPLO!

Hmmmm, suspected this would be the case after the press release a couple of
months ago: see http://news.lugnet.com/duplo/?n=460 and article linked off it.

While I have seen in my local area that Duplo has lost it's popularity over
the past couple of years, and often think I've got far too much and should
stop buying it (this will make that easier), I'm still unhappy!  A classic
pre-school toy, that had only recently become more affordable too.  RIP.
*sniff*

Although the compatibility of Duplo with System has been emphasised by LEGO,
in practice, they are seperate entities. Next to no Duplo elements appear in
System (there's a Duplo cradle in 2002 Belville IIRC), and no System
elements appear in Duplo. How many MOCs feature Duplo & System components?
(Well, there are a few that use the duplo 'egg', or the dog, I guess...)

My daughter (4) has generally grown out of her Duplo now (though it
occassionally gets played with), as she grew out of Primo before that. It is
disappointing to see such good quality (and high priced) toys neglected -
LEGO must get some negative feedback from it.

[snip]
Wonder what Explorer is and whether it will in any way be compatible or similar?

My guess would be that Explorer is System compatible (ie uses System sized
studs). Jack Stone was a step in the System compatible/Duplo complexity
direction, and I would expect Explorer to be similar (but without the very
small parts - 2x1 tiles, walkie-talkies, etc).

Which would be, in theory, compatible with Duplo.

The thing I find saddest will be the loss of the Duplo building areas at
World shows etc, where you can build big and quickly, and only have to share
bricks with the very little kids!

Cheers

Richie Dulin