 General / 36013
Re: Question about copyright on Lego logos
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 05:27:08 GMT

Hmmm, you know what'd I'd do.  Make the shirts, give them to your kids.  I
don't think anyone is going to care.  Unless you mass produce them and sell
them, then Lego will care. (and since you said you're not going to do that,
you're good.)  But until then, no.
     You can ask and, I'm going to use some powerful phsychic energies here,
Lego will say...."NO."  If for no other reason Lego will not sanction fan
produced materials.  Oh, they may support it by doing shows and such but
they won't say to you, "Go ahead, use our stuff."
     Check this out, I asked if Lego had a banner so I could create a decent
link to the Lego site.  I was given a nice reply that stated, basically,
""NO, and thank you for asking first" (we checked...)"
     But your shirts and such, I think you're good.  It'd be a fan created
thing for your own consumption.  No profit, no gain and as long as you're
not slandering the Lego image, I'd say you're good.
     I'm thinking of all the Star Trek geeks that make TONs of Star Trek
stuff for thier own consumtion.  Very visibly Star Trek, no mistaking it
there.  (yessir, this here is a class III phaser as seen in episode.... you
get the idea)  If these people can do it, so can you.

Mark Neumann