 General / 34454
Re: The Mutant Calamari
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 11 Dec 2001 17:39:50 GMT

In lugnet.general, Richard Marchetti writes:
Dave Johann seems to think there have been too many bendy arm sources
already -- but my point would be: what are the current sources for these
elements?  If you are a new builder getting your first bunch of sets this
year, you are SOL.

I'll agree with your 'new builder' statement. This year, you would be out of
luck. What I propose is a rotation of parts from year to year. Bendys one year,
something new the next, and never an overdone number of any part in a single
set. 25% of a set comprised of a single part shouldn't be a set-it should be a
bulk pack.

I guess the reason why I became so unimpressed with bendy-arms was the way Lego
used them far too liberally in the Aquazone sets. Those of us who are building
onto an existing collection are always in need of new parts. As far as where
bendys can be currently culled from: The secondary market. Brickbay and Ebay
still have them and will continue to have them for some time to come.

Most of the newer sets seem to be incorporating a
cyclinder-style click hinge (which I understand is prone to failure after a
certain amount of use).

As does any hinge-based part. I have bendy arm parts that are worn out, so this
argument doensn't really fly. The click-hnges do have one significant addvantage
over bendy arms-they can support a lot of weight. Far more so if paired up.
Bendy's just can't do this as well.

And bendy arms are infinitely useful.  I have some
amazingly cool mecha hands I designed last year comprised in the main of
bandy arm elements. You just can't build the same thing with these newer
squid arms and have the same functionality.

No argument here either, though 'infinitely' might be overstating their
usefulness. The newer tail parts don't have that kind of funtionality built into
them. You know what? That's fine. Not every part can be everything to everyone.
If TLC offered a variety of ways to purchase any of the above mentioned parts,
I'd be ecstatic. Honestly, I don't believe this will ever happen, but I can
dream.

-- Hop-Frog

=Dave