 General / 34452
Re: The Mutant Calamari
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 11 Dec 2001 16:47:50 GMT

In lugnet.general, Thomas Main writes:
a squid's legs/arms just scream for the movement possibility/posability that >the bendy arms allow.

Yeah, that's a really good point.  The dino segmented arms are not very
posable except that you can rotate them in different ways.  I don't hate the
new squid arms, but they do not inherently possess the functionality/utility
of the bendy arm arms.

Dave Johann seems to think there have been too many bendy arm sources
already -- but my point would be: what are the current sources for these
elements?  If you are a new builder getting your first bunch of sets this
year, you are SOL.  Most of the newer sets seem to be incorporating a
cyclinder-style click hinge (which I understand is prone to failure after a
certain amount of use).  And bendy arms are infinitely useful.  I have some
amazingly cool mecha hands I designed last year comprised in the main of
bandy arm elements. You just can't build the same thing with these newer
squid arms and have the same functionality.

-- Hop-Frog