 General / 33381
Re: 6776 Should not be re-released.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 27 Sep 2001 14:06:11 GMT

A child will play 'war' using sticks as guns
even if LEGO made only standard bricks, children would make weapons out of
them.
children do that sort of thing, its in there nature. I did it many of you
did it, its part of creative play. It dosen't mean the child isn't going to
turn out to be a well balanced individual. surely the most concerning thing
about this is that a toy like LEGO is limiting creative play with storylines
and characterisation. I don't think LEGO ever said much about peaceful play,
just a desire not to produce contempory war models

btw .. I actually have the set in question, but I only bought it for the
great baseplate. as a set its naff

--
James Stacey
www.minifig.co.uk

"Farlie A" <alex_farlie@hotmail.com> wrote in message
Hi,

I had my reservations about Alpha team when it first appeared.

During the Golden age of the early 1990's TLC/TLG seemed not to have a • need
to resort to including 'war' toys in its ranges. What changed?

Surely there are alternative (more peaceful) themes that would be popular?
(Take a look at the suggestions made here on Lugnet for example.)

'War' toys only reinforce somtimes misguided cultrual views as to • 'acceptable'
attitudes to violent behaviour. I thought TLC/TLG wanted to encourage
peacful and creative play and was one of the companies that DID NOT • produce
models of tanks and war-lanes because of this.

However at least TLC/TLG had enough sense to issue the recall. I'm not • sure
if the clones makers (not naming any specific firms) would have simmilar
sense given the nature of some of thier ranges.

TLC/TLG's actions concerning displays in the Legoland parks also speaks • volumes.

Alex