 General / 33378
Re: 6776 Should not be re-released.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 27 Sep 2001 12:51:32 GMT

Farlie A wrote:

Hi,

I had my reservations about Alpha team when it first appeared.

During the Golden age of the early 1990's TLC/TLG seemed not to have a need
to resort to including 'war' toys in its ranges. What changed?

I hate to dissapoint you, but TLC has unquestionably produced "war toys"
since 1978. I could make arguments for as early as 1966 (based on
examining the Lugnet set database). Some highlights follow:

Introductions in 1978:

398 U.S.S. Constellation (a warship)
375 Castle (first minifig weapon)

Introductions in 1966:

330 Jeep (a vehicle originally produced as a military vehicle)

Introductions in 1973:

358 Rocket Base (note that NASA is a quasi-military arm [note that in
the early years, all astronauts were military personel], and in this
timeframe the launch vehicles were all rockets designed originally as
ICBMs)

Introductions in 1975:

365 Wild West Scene
367 Space Module With Astronauts
565 Moon Landing

Introductions in 1976:

198 Cowboys
210 Cowboys (these two sets show what is unmistakeably a gun)

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com