 General / 32635
Re: International Society of Meccanomen
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Wed, 22 Aug 2001 22:36:59 GMT

In lugnet.general, Steve Lane writes:
In lugnet.general, Allan Bedford writes:

*Visually* superior perhaps, but only because LEGO is more of a sculpting
medium.  Meccano has a definite mechanical advantage due to the strength and
precision it derives from being made of steel, brass, etc.

Allan B.

Meccano hasn't got pneumatics though has it. So I'd say Lego has the
pneumatic advantage.

Steve

An excellent point.  That one had slipped my mind.  I guess I was thinking
more along the lines of the hardened brass gears and incredibly strong
beams, axles and brackets; perhaps things more appropriate for gear boxes,
cranes, bridges etc.  Of course these things can all be built from LEGO, but
in Meccano they can be built bigger, longer and especially... stronger.

Another thing Meccano never had (mostly because it hadn't been invented) was
any sort of computer interaction.  There is no Mindstorms equivalent in the
Meccano world.  However, long ago Meccano incorporated electrical motors and
lighting sets into their system.

One set of Meccano gears that comes to mind are the very useful (also very
expensive) helical gears.  For anyone not familiar with these type of gears,
here's a picture:

http://www.muffett.co.uk/helgear.htm

There are other differences, to be sure, but as I've said each system has
it's pluses and minuses.

Regards,
Allan B.