 General / 32097
RE: Browser Usage
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.publish.html
Date:
Mon, 30 Jul 2001 01:28:20 GMT

James Stacey writes:
According to my viewing stats about 80% of people that go too
the site are using IE, 17% Netscape, and the rest is the small
ones (opera is actually 3rd at 1%)

A recent sample of hits to my website (probably the same audience as Pauls'
website, or anyone else on LUGNET)

MSIE 5 466 71.36%
Netscape 4 109 16.69%
MSIE 4 34 5.20%
Netscape 3 20 3.06%
MSIE 6 16 2.45%
Netscape 6   4 0.61%
Other   4 0.61%

As you can see, MSIE dominates, but Netscape still has a reasonable
hold...much bigger than leaving out Mac users, for example:

Windows 89.43%
Mac 4.74%
Unix 2.14%
Other 3.67%

In my experience, Netscape 6 follows W3C web standards for CSS better than
any other browser.  However, it does have some problems (especially with
forms), so most people don't use it.  When it comes to CSS, Netscape 4.7 is
a piece of crap...so make sure you either make different versions for NS and
IE, or make sure that none of the CSS you use is objectionable to NS.  For
my LEGO site ( http://lego.bldesign.org ), I turned off the background in
Netscape inside the PHP script which displays the page to make sure the
website would still be legible.
Personally, I prefer Netscape because it breaks on improper HTML, thus
forcing you to use clean code.  Netscape 4.7 also handles different MIME
types much better than MSIE.
--Bram

Bram Lambrecht
bram@cwru.edu