 General / 31230
Re: !!!Letter from The Lego Co.!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Fri, 22 Jun 2001 21:00:38 GMT

In lugnet.general, Richard Noeckel writes:
I like receiving official letters from the TLG as much as the next AFOL.
But this one I don’t understand…

[freeeeky letter snipped]

O.K. now here’s the questions:
They have all the necessary info from me, why do they require a Tax code,
Bank, e-mail address of finance dept, and lot of other stuff????????????????
(Do they think I'm a retail business who purchases their product for resale?)

   "Richard's Head-Steppin' Constructions, Inc."  Or do they
   think Canada is a company and not a country?  :)

And where do they want me to return the letter to?
There’s no return address…except;        LEGO Systems A/S
                                         DK-7190 Billund
                                            Denmark
You’ve gotta be kidin’!

   That's really, really, really weird.  I've never even heard
   of a letter like that going out.  Someone must have typed a
   2 when they meant a 3, somewhere, somehow...

In conclusion, I opened the letter (just like any other letter from Lego)
expecting to receive a cheque from Lego because of a ‘back-order canceled’
notice for one of the items I wanted. And then I get this letter. Please
help me clarify! Is this due to the quantity I purchase?  (I only spent
about $250 a month.)

   What I found interesting was the bit where they changed the
   terms of payment to "on delivery."  Basically, that they'd
   send the items to you and THEN you'd pay.  Hmmmm.

   It may have happened if you paid by cheque before you got
   the items.  Most consumers don't pay by cheque.  Their system
   may simply have wibbled at it.  (I'm assuming that's how
   you paid, given that you were expecting a refund?)

P.S. would there be any advantage in pretending to be a retail distributor?
(They gave me a Supplier no. and everything?)
Would I get a discount?
Would I receive inside product info? (Like advance copies of Harry Potter?)
I could pull it off. Create a bogus business open up a few mock bank
accounts…       ;)

   Actually, if we made an AFOL buying conglomerate, couldn't
   we make a case for being a company where the distributor =
   retailer = consumers?  The only downside is that it would
   then eliminate the support AFOLs provide for the retail supply
   chain *and* the added margin we give to S@H.

   best

   Lindsay

   Xpost -> .market.theory, because it's an interesting question.