 General / 31128
Re: Are that many people really glad about the security stuff?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 20 Jun 2001 15:08:30 GMT

In lugnet.general, Peter McLoone writes:
Well personally I'm a bit ticked. How many people are really glad about
these new security features. Is this really necessary?

I support it one hundred percent.  Since I post through the web interface, I
have no problems with it at all.

As far as i see Brad's idea was the best, keep it optional, if someone feels
that they are being "cloned" as I believe the term is, than they can switch on
the feature, and voila, the dude can't bother that person.

The point isn't to protect people from being spoofed.  The point is to prevent
people who have been banned from hacking into the system and disrupting the
community.

However for the other thousands and thousands of websurfers out there, is this
whole mess required? The key thing here is to make it optional, because there
are so many out there that are probably thinking this a con, rather than a
pro. So generally I'm trying to rally some support against this absolute pain
in the arse. Of course in the event that you people out there decided to be
too timid to complain, or actually like this, I suppose I'll have to yield,
but don't expect me to cower down, I'm a very perserverant person. Err....
Random on...

Remember, this is Todd's server.  He can do whatever he likes, and doesn't have
to ask us about it first.  Frankly, I'm suprised at the amount of feedback he
requests before doing stuff.  I doubt I would, in his shoes.  In the end, this
is a measure to protect the entire community from disruptive people, not a
measure to protect the individuals.

Jeff