 General / 30344
Re: Not My Own Train
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 18 May 2001 02:09:53 GMT

The real problem doesn't necessarily reflect on juniorization (which is
partly to blame, please stop that), but an over-all lack of quality.  The
engineers designing these sets just aren't good at what they do.  I enjoy
making my own models, but have always been captivated by Lego designs-- but
not for the last few years.

It's a sad day when you build a Lego model and you end up hating it.

That's just my opinion...
-Lars>>
Lar I believe your right when you say junioriztion is to blame (partly)I
think that the US fans can have more of an influence on be halfof the world
wide AFOL on lego A/S  since the number of AFOL's fans esp into in the US
and US in general can move lego some how see that they cannot go all the way
juniorizing these sets  you did it with helpping get LD and that such a big
market would by lost, if they did  it would make a lot of people mad and
take to the streets with guns and burning there products in the street like
the jr pencil case ,the jr lego brand car waxthe mr/mrs(note politcal
correctness) jr my first train set[now with less few pieces, "cool"].

Really the main reasons from what I have heard over the years for lego and
what I have pieced together as to why the quality of sets has gone down is
as follows  in the time before Kjeld kirk kristiansen now lego CEO, but of
that of this father GKK all model themes and the development of indivdual
sets were under the supervision of him (GKK)that was until his death in
1995,until that about 1995 ,96 the yearly  catalogue of models and sets that
came out all models spent about 4 to 5 years in development so the models
that you see in say the 1995 catalogue had been developing and evolving sice
about 1990.Now you would say since GKK only died in 1995 we should still see
top quality around ,but as happens  with the changing of the guard KKK
,Brought his own people in and left the development for models to X person
in X dept and started to cut the years of developing themes and models from
years down to a matter of months 7 if I remember rightly as a result we have
rock underground things as a wonderful example of his work and jr city.Also
set your mind back a few years legoA/S reforms exercise reshaping plan to
make lego the No#1 toy by 2005 as a result KKK removed or change the way a
alot of lego depts worked through and I hate saying this but laying people
off and getting in the I.T. guys  (not that I hate I.T.guys) why course one
person can do the same job 4,5,6 people once did but as a result you remove
the 4,5,6 different imagination too work on the one problem theme or set.
  So there Lar thats my opinion as to  why you and us others havn't been
CAPTIVATED by the lego designs for the last few years  but again with the
changing of the guard at legoUS  the ball lies on your side of the court to
speak up by heard,remove juniorization  get a strong hold of the ball and
say we want the elements in the colours and amounts we want and hopful win
the match.