 General / 29848
Re: tan coloured Chateau is finished in time
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 25 Apr 2001 12:21:52 GMT

In lugnet.general, Gary Istok writes:
Joel Jacobsen wrote:
In lugnet.general, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke writes:
For the chateau I have created a gallerie at the most important German net
address at www.1000steine.de .
You will find some pictures of the building process, of some building • details
and of the finished building under the URL:
http://195.88.140.13/gallery/g72/

That is amazing! I love the design and the statues above the doorway add a
nice touch.
Joel J

Thanks to Joel, Gary and all others for your comments.

Well I will add something that hasn't been said,  I think that the blue roof
complements the tan color quite nicely.

In fact, that is right. I love the combination of these colours alot.

This is an outstanding example of why • LEGO
Direct needs to get us some STEEP SLOPED ROOF pieces, always one of the harder • to
find pieces IMHO.  I bought 12 of the old Blacksmith shops about 12 years ago • just
to get the 2 steep sloped 2x2x3 red corners, and the 2 thin 1x2x3 red slopes. •  I
still can't build anything of significance of these pieces because I cannot • get my
hands on any quantity of the 2x2x3 steep red slopes, probably one of the • harder to
find steep slopes.

On the other hand nobody would care about buildings like these, if you could
get each wanted part on demand from S@H easily. I'm of the opinion TLC should
never throw some bricks more or less cheap into the market. For e.g. I wouln'd
like to see classic windows in the seizes 3x2(blue), 2x2 (black + grey) or 1x2
(black+yellow). It might be ok if new released sets in the 100$ range contain a
pair of them though. But if TLC would decide to produce for e.g. the 22° sloped
corner brick in 3x3x1 (only available in 7740) and sell them chep in some
creator-set, I would not be glad about it at all.

This is a conflict between collectors (who want rare bricks) and builders (who
want to have all stuff available in all colours). I'm both builder and
collector, but as a builder I can live quite well with some rarer bricks, as a
collector I never could simply accept a all-bricks-on-demand-concept.

As for the blue slopes, they are more plentiful, but unless you want to spend • a
fortune, they are best found on the secondary market.  I have about 120 of • these
now, with 50 of them corners.  The blue color makes for a nicer slate color • than
the dark gray (IMO).

I agree. From the blue slopes there where 4 pieces in oasis ambush. I bought
over 30 of them at sales prices. The palm trees from that set are quite nice
too, since you can build the big fir trees in the style Heiner Berg did it
first.

Anyway, yes Ben has done an outstanding job.  I am always glad to see people
building historic structures out of Lego.

We Europeans have the advantage to see lots of them. I just have to look across
the street, to see dozens of 100 years old town buildings. Lots of them with
facades similar to my chateau.

Kind Regards,

Ben