 General / 29747
Re: All Your Brick Are Belong To Us?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.wamalug, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 20 Apr 2001 12:26:59 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.wamalug, Mark Sandlin writes:
Selçuk Göre at ssgore@superonline.com wrote:

So what's thing that great with this phrase? I'm not a native English
speaker and I really don't get it. (is there an analogy between "base"
and "butt"?)

Selçuk

No, the humor comes from the fact that it was a Japanese game that was
translated rather badly into English. Instead of saying "We control all your
bases" it was written "All your base are belong to us."

It's really not terribly funny all  by itself, but the Flash movies that
were created are pretty amusing, IMO.

~1st Lieutenant, Fleebnork Division Muffin Head

To elaborate: The video game "Zero Wing" (released for the Sega Genesis),
which was lame and pointless to begin with, was made worse by a bad
translation.  The intro (which I unfortunately have read at least 50 times
in different places) went something like this:

-----
A.D. (I forgot, sorry)
War was beginning

[Captain]: What happen?
[Crewperson 1]: Someone set up us the bomb.
[Crewperson 2]: We get signal.
[One of those three, not sure which]: Main screen turn on.
[CATS (don't ask)]: How are you gentlemen !!
[CATS]: All your base are belong to us !!
[CATS]: You are on your way to destruction !!
[Captain]: What you say !!
[CATS]: You have no chance to survive make your time.
[Captain]: Take off every "zig." ("zig"=the little spaceship you control in
the game)
[Captain]: You know what you doing.
[Captain]: Move every "zig."
[Captain]: For great justice.
-----

At which point you placed your thumb on one of the buttons, and kept it
there for half an hour.  After "winning" the game, you got an ending with
little dancing raisin-aliens, and more text including such gems as
"CONGRATULATION" and "ALL BASE OF CATS WERE DESTROYED".  Then it's over.  No
credits.  And it's a good thing, too: *I* wouldn't want my name on that thing!

How this became the Current Internet Fad Injoke, I haven't figured out.