 General / 28159
Re: Is there a real time LEGO chat?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 27 Feb 2001 06:58:35 GMT

In lugnet.general, Mark Tarrabain writes:
Todd Lehman wrote:

In lugnet.general, markt@lynx.bc.ca (Mark Tarrabain) writes:
Jason Spangler wrote:

Do I see irc.lugnet.com in our future, Todd?  :-)

That would be too cool!  :)

What kinds of things would it enable you to do that you can't do now?

Oh, sure... if you want to think sensibly.  ;)

Actually, the only real thing a real-time chat would provide that can't be >done right now is a greater level of interactivity.  Response times could be >measured in seconds or minutes as opposed to hours or days.  Although an >interactive response to all questions could not always be guaranteed... >depending on who is online at the time, it'd be a nice starting point for >people who are more comfortable with real-time question and answer rather >than usenet.

I realize that chat systems such as IRC aren't for everyone... and I would >never want to bring in an IRC or IRC-like system to replace the news server, >but I do think that that having a choice of forum styles would be nice.
Of course, there's nothing stopping anyone from setting up a chat channel on
some existing IRC network -- and indeed, this is what I was originally asking
about.  The big advantage to having lugnet be the host for such a forum is >that it's a well-known central repository for LEGO information.   Certainly >it would stand to be much more stable here than elsewhere.

What're the chances?

Currently very low.  Maybe higher a year from now.  Here's an older thread
discussing the subject...

   http://www.lugnet.com/news/display.cgi?lugnet.admin.general:182

I think a chat system could be a lot of fun...  But there are bigger fish to
fry right now!  :-)

"bigger fish to fry"?  Hrm... can't say I've heard that one before. :)

Oh well, thanks for giving it some consideration.

Mark

  I'm aware that this thread is from a REALLY, Really, really,... long time
ago! And that this issue may have been clarified long ago. But, in one of my
nostalgic searches in the Lugnet archives if found this interesting post. I
too have thought about this. My question is, what is the current situation
of the debate concerning real-time chat in the lugnet forum  ????????????

  Sincerely,

                          --==Richard==--

You can reach me @ SHROUD_OF_KUNG_FU@Hotmail.com

-Lego good, Canada great-®