 General / 27604
Re: Lego in the NY Times
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 8 Feb 2001 18:28:30 GMT

In lugnet.general, Suzanne D. Rich writes:
In lugnet.general, Jonathan Lopes writes:
The article says that Lego now
spends less than a third of the million dollars it used to spend in Toy Fair
displays and events.

I don't know if any one is familiar with the Toy Fair in NY, but there are 2
versions. The first is at the Toy Building on 23rd & Fifth, then it moves to
the Jacob Javitts Convention Center on the West side.

2 years ago (I think, maybe 3) I went to the Jacob Javitts Center version.
Everybody else was there (Mattel, PlayMobile, etc) But not Lego...?

They may have been at the Toy Building & then left at the end of that, but
I'm not sure.
The Toy building version is during the week & The Javitts Center version is
the on the weekend....(neither open to the public).

I was surprised not to see Lego there at any rate...

Jonathan

I'm not exactly sure how you see Toy Fair that way, but that's not entirely
correct these days. The suites are open while Javitts runs. Buyers tend to see
the toymakers' booths on the show floor AND, assuming they've got an appointment
to discuss business, their suite in the Toy Building. At Javitts, buyers get an
overview of the year's products, discover new toy companies and brand-new
concepts for toys that may not even have a manufacturer yet. There are many,
many booths.

The suites are where the business is done. Like an office with quiet
environment, sit down have coffee kinda thing. Reps there can recognize and
remember some buyers. They answer questions. There's lots of hand-shaking. Some
suites allow buyers to stroll in -- their door open. Mega Blocks' suite is like
this. A buyer could get a tour, then set up an appointment. But the really big
players' suites are strictly appointment only, which I believe would have been
set up long before the show even started. For very special (TRU-type) buyers,
there's actually a hush-hush pre Toy Fair. (but you didn't hear that from me)

Before Javitts opens, there's a keynote and talks. (last year TLC's Peter Eio
opened the show) I think there are some seminars too. "Toy of the Year" awards
have sometimes coincided. Evening parties. But the real buzz happens in the days
Javitts is open. These are two parts of the same thing. Not everyone arrives at
the very beginning. Some people arrive at Toy Fair only once Javitts has opened.
Press people love it.

Toy companies can theoretically have their suite anywhere in New York. The Toy
Building is the traditional spot (it's actually two buildings). But last year
many toy companies decided not to renew their leases with the Toy Building. LEGO
was one (but don't quote me). This just means they'll be at some other address.

LEGO did have a booth last year on the show floor. (But it's true that other
years they haven't.) It contained only new things they had to show off. It was
all stuff this community had already discovered. Lots of video games, Vision
Command, etc. But no Star Wars. The people working their booth had a sort of
song and dance. But when asked tricky questions it's revealed that they don't
know a lot about the products.

LEGO's  suite is a serious place. You've got to be dressed appropriately (nice
suit) for your appointment. And it's here that the secret yummies will be
hiding. You'll only see them if they think you need to. And even then I've heard
you're ushered through rather quickly. I assume all buyers sign an NDA.

While I'm at it, I may as well say that there's an enormous amount of snobbery
at Toy Fair. It's more pressure-filled than fun.

I can also tell you that there's always an oversize color glossy newspaper which
comes out each day. They have like a big "ONE" or "THREE" on their covers. If
you only read those, you'd have almost seen the show. Anything in the daily is
safe for the press to put out right away.  So if you happened to be in NY and
happened to walk into the Toy Building lobby and happened to pick up some
literature, you wouldn't be getting anything top secret, just interesting. (but
you didn't hear that from me!!) A badge is required to enter any building.

The trend of big guys like Mattell and Hasbro not being as visible is (as I see
it) partly due to the overpowering buyers like Wal-Mart and TRU. Businees with
them need not happen at Toy Fair. I think the trend will be good for small toy
makers but not great for small toy stores who still need to do business with
Hasbro, LEGO, etc. time will tell.

I would not expect LEGO Direct to have any big part in Toy Fair. LD deals
straight with consumers and sells many exclusive items. This makes buyers a bit
ticked off. Well, maybe a bit more like "angry." Some buyers would love to sell
bulk bricks but can't. And Toy Fair is primarily for buyers to see what they CAN
buy.

That's my quick description from having done two shows. Now I should say
something like, "the above statements are my own, not those of LUGNET. And, I
was never there, I don't know what you're talking about, etc."

-Suz

Ah, thanks for all that info! I was under the impression that the show
(booths etc) were in a room in the Toy Building, then moved to the Javitts
center. But, I just realized the size of the Javitts Center compared to the
Toy building (area wise, not height :))
I was a production manager at the plant that prints the Toy Fair newspaper
you mentioned for 4 years, thats how I got the ID pass to get into Javitts.

Thanks for correcting me and giving us a better understanding of the show.

Jonathan