 General / 27491
Re: History Question, Dear Gary
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 2001 21:33:44 GMT

r2 wrote:

Dear Gary,

I found some 1x2 bricks that do not have the inner tube. The Lego logo on
the studs is noticeably different. When did Lego start using this? I bought
a Lego lot of some old and older sets and I would like to be historically
accurate when I put the sets together.

I also found some 4x window glass that seems to have variable thickness and
their are "Stud" marks in each corner. The oldest sets are 379 (bus station)
and the 675 (snack bar) these don't seem to be old enough for some of these
parts.

Rose

P.S. Gary Istok is our Lego historian and he always has lots of great
information. I would welcome any information that people have on this
subject, I just always think of these are "Dear Gary" questions. Thank you
in advance.

You are most welcome!

The 1xN bricks without posts were around until around 1968, which is pretty
late.  There are a lot of late 1960's sets that have a mixture of pieces with
and without posts, some are Cellulose Acetate, and some are ABS. This is for the
North American Samsonite LEGO  parts.  The European (TLC) parts of the mid to
late 1960's seem to be all ABS, and all with studs.  Samsonite must have had a
bigger warehouse to store their old pieces (and CA) , and used them up into the
late 1960's.  One set that comes to mind is #310 (Motorized Truck Set) which is
not in the LUGNET database, but can be seen here (on the Bill Katz/Joe Lauher
Samsonite catalog website):

http://www.chem.sunysb.edu/msl/LEGO/60s_a7.jpg

Many of the sets shown on this page have 1x2 and 1x4 beams (with studs
underneath) made of Cellulose Acetate,  and 1x6 and 1x8 beams without studs in
ABS (that is the opposite of what you would expect).  These sets are also
possibly the only know source of yellow CA plates.  You won't find these in
Europe, where yellow was (AFAIK) not available in CA plates.

It is this hodgepodge mixup of LEGO parts (with and without studs, CA and ABS)
that makes guessing the dates of LEGO parts such an inexact science.

As for the LEGO logo, the early Samsonite logo was slightly smaller, and yet
fatter.  The Samsonite LOGO was used only in North America.  Of the hundreds of
sets that I have purchased in Europe, never once did I find this LOGO in one of
their old sets.

These old sets from the late 60's that I just talked about have some pieces such
as 2x2 and 2x3 bricks made of ABS with the older logo, and then you will find
other pieces made of CA with the newer logo.  It all gets very confusing.

Rose, I am confused about the 4x windows that you are talking about.  I assume
that you are not talking about the classic style 1x4x2 window that only ever
came in red or white (1957- circa 1990).  Are you talking about the ones that
can be used as skylights because the match the roofline of regular sloped
bricks?  (1x4x4??)  If you mean the newer windows, then I'll have to check some
of the ones I have.  Please let me know.

Thanks,
Gary Istok