 General / 25991
Re: UCS Inspired Minifig Scale T-65 X-Wing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 4 Jan 2001 00:31:32 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Carey Snyder writes:
Hey, Excellent job, I thought I would make a suggestion (even though i've
never shown anything, no scanner :( ,) but if you wanted to add antoher
feature to make it accurate you could rahter easily. In Empire Strikes back,
I believe that there is a belly compartment under the cockpit, I don't know
maybe its on the UCS too, I am probably not telling you anythign you didn't
already know, but if you were to use a white slope similar to whats on top
of the grey nose piece, you could attach it onto the bottom of the craft
with hinges. sorry for rambling so much, I hope u find this helpful maybe.
-carey

Thanks for the suggestion, only a dedicated Star Wars fan would mention the
cargo hatch! The cargo storage area under the cockpit was a source of much
thought when I put this together. You are correct that on the UCS it hinges
open (I replaced my UCS grey cargo area with a non-hinged white version -
but that's a different story).

On my minfig version I contemplated hinging it open with the nose piece you
described, but I ran into a few problems with where to locate the hinge so
the cargo area would still open properly, but leave a smooth seam when
closed. I don't own any white 1x2 plate hinge pairs (did TLC even make
them?), that would have helped. I also had to deal with the underbelly being
too low to the ground when the model is resting on the landing gear, and the
cargo hatch wouldn't open.

The gear on this model is probably 2 plates or so too short to allow for an
opening cargo door (and 2 additional plates of height would probably make it
more accurate with the movie version of the X-Wing). I couldn't increase the
ground clearance without sacrificing the "retractable" feature of the
landing gear - and I really liked that part.

In the end I left out the cargo hatch in lieu of the retractable gear,
aesthetics and some structural considerations. I've found that every model
is a result of many compromises - this was one of them.

However, your post got my brain turning on the subject, and I'll give it
some more thought. There may be a way to get this into the model as well,
and if I ever get it figured out, I'll have you to thank for keeping me
challenged. Let me know if you have any suggestions.

I appreciate your comments!
Mark

P.S. I don't own a scanner either, but don't let that discourage you from
posting.  A digital camera is so much more efficient, plus you don't have to
through the expense and bother of development and wondering how your shots
came out. (I borrowed a camera for these shots) Digital camcorders work good
too.