 General / 25973
Re: A LEGO Collection
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 3 Jan 2001 20:03:33 GMT

In lugnet.general, Chris Wallendorff writes:
Just curious on what other people think makes a good LEGO Collection.
Should you have certain sets in it or if you only own one and that one makes
you happy, then do you have a good LEGO Collection. If you had to make a
list, what would you consider to be the top 10 LEGO sets of all time.  Pleas
post or e-mail me your answers.

I think you'll find that the only truly good collection of Lego is the one
that has all of it. :)

Actually, the real answer is whatever makes you happy. I've noticed
primarily two distinct collecting styles- collecting for parts and
collecting for sets. And most definitely, there are all sorts of overlaps
and degrees of extremity.

If you're a part collector rather than a set collector, you'll want to have
a nice wide variety of parts for whatever it is that you like building.
You've got a good collection if you can build exactly what you want without
having to go buy new stuff for every project you have (of course we all WANT
to build bigger things but just for generality's sake).

Otherwise, if you're a set collector, you'll want the sets that you love the
most. And ofttimes, lots OF them :) If you've got all the sets you love,
you've got a good collection :)

As for MY top 10, I'd say:
#1  6067 Guarded Inn
#2  6954 Renegade
#3  6080 King's Castle
#4  6980 Galaxy Commander
#5  8880 Supercar
#6  6086 Black Knight's Castle
#7  8480 FOS Light/Space Shuttle
#8  5988 Pharoah's Forbidden Ruins
#9  7130 Snowspeeder (I don't care if it's small. It's darn cool.)
#10 7191 UCS X-Wing

I think the top 11 list of all-time sought after, desired, and appreciated
sets would be something like: (I couldn't bear to take any one of these off)

375 Yellow Castle
497 Galaxy Explorer
4558 Metroliner
5571 Giant Truck
6067 Guarded Inn
6285 Black Seas Barracuda
6390 Main Street
8480 FOS Light/Space Shuttle
8880 Supercar
7191 UCS X-Wing
9719 Robotics Invention System 1.0

If you've got all those, you probably have a good collection :) (I only have
four of those, and I think I've got a pretty good collection)

DaveE